opengl game

Started by
11 comments, last by JTippetts 10 years, 1 month ago

I want to make a simple game using opengl. I have already done pong and breakout. I just need a small amount of advice. I have also worked on asteroids and tic tac toe.

Advertisement

If "worked on" means "did not complete", I suggest completing a version of Asteroids and Tic Tac Toe.

If "worked on" means "completed", I would a simple 2D platformer.

Hello to all my stalkers.

I was thinking about space invaders

Go for it :)

Hello to all my stalkers.

one more question, where would I find a tutorial on using sprite sheets?

one more question, where would I find a tutorial on using sprite sheets?

Your using opengl, and you're asking about a sprite sheet?

Why wouldn't you use a 2d graphics API? SFML, or the like? You're going to just increase the complexity if you use opengl.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

hey beer you really like sfml LOL I am using a texturing code from videotutorialsrock web site. I have used this code before to make pong and breakout. its a little old but it still works for me. I have decided to make a galaga meets asteroids type of game. basically rocks come from the top of the screen and you shoot them with a space ship that moves left and right on the bottom of the screen, wish me good luck.

actually its more like space invaders and asteroids.

I just need a small amount of advice.

My advice for you: ask actual specific questions if you want advice. As this topic stands, there's not really anything useful anyone can say without first asking for more information.

What specifically did you want advice on? Have you started your game yet? If not, why?

Another piece of advice: if this "texturing code" you've been working with is the same mess you've been using for some of your previous projects, I would honestly suggest you abandon it and start from scratch, either with OpenGL or (preferably) using a simplified API like SDL or SFML. The way you seem to hack new functionality into this code and the way you've asked questions about it in the past seem to suggest that you don't REALLY understand it properly (and the fact that "texturing code" isn't really the correct term for what you're doing would seem to support that), and if that's true then continuing to use it just because you had some small successes with previous projects it is really just holding you back from real learning.

Start from scratch -- without basing your code off some sample you found -- and you might actually learn those basics you seem to have been struggling with for so very long now.

Hope that helps! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

how do I start over from scratch?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement