How can I play Mp3 Files under DirectSound

Started by
5 comments, last by NEC 24 years, 3 months ago
I want to write a Mp3 Mixer for Partys. But my Mixer runs with Wav files, and I want to convert the Mp3 part of the File und play it with the DirectsoundBuffer. Do you knew how i can make this
Advertisement
this would probably be very difficult because i think the mp3 format is under a copyright
Not exactly. I see a lot of mp3 player around, and even games take advantage of that(Age of Kings)
I recall seeing a post somewhere in the newsgroup on how to do that, but sorry I didn''t take down the link. Try posting at msnews.microsoft.com in the DirectX newsgroup too

If you want a quick and dirty way you can try using DirectMedia''s DirectShow''s components.
The trick with MP3''s is that the owners of the copyright have made the format available for everyone to use, as long as they provide any MP3 products for free. If you were to use MP3 in a game you''re selling you have to make the MP3 files available for anyone to download for free. Games like Slave Zero and others have done this in order to use MP3''s.

Or at least thats how I understand it.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Could you explain what you mean by mixer? I think, perhaps, that what you would call a mixer and I would call a mixer are two different things.
Atavist, you''re not exactly right there.
The mp3 codec is owned by Fraunhofer Institute in Germany. That means you may not distribute decoders or encoders based on that codec without actually licensing it from the copyright owner. Therefore if you want to use mp3 decoding in a commercial product, you have to license it.

If you''re looking for a good MP3 mixer program, BPM-Studio would be the best choice. There''s a version available, that comes for free

Try: www.bpmstudio.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement