Threading and networking

Started by
10 comments, last by spinningcube 10 years ago

So I'm stuck, and can't seem to figure out what the "right way" to solve this is.

I'm using enet - and the "enet_host_service" which takes care of sending and receiving data takes a timeout, like 10ms or 5000ms - whatever. The problem is; how large should this be? 1ms?

Cause the wait freezes the rest of the thread, of course. But if I have two threads, one that reads from the top of a list(simulation) and another one that writes to the bottom of the list(network) - wouldn't that impact performance hard and in some cases cause problems with locking?

Another thing I thought about was using zeromq(zmq) internally as I then don't have to think about locking, but I'm very unsure about zeromq when it comes to latency.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

So I'm stuck, and can't seem to figure out what the "right way" to solve this is.

I'm using enet - and the "enet_host_service" which takes care of sending and receiving data takes a timeout, like 10ms or 5000ms - whatever. The problem is; how large should this be? 1ms?

Cause the wait freezes the rest of the thread, of course. But if I have two threads, one that reads from the top of a list(simulation) and another one that writes to the bottom of the list(network) - wouldn't that impact performance hard and in some cases cause problems with locking?

Another thing I thought about was using zeromq(zmq) internally as I then don't have to think about locking, but I'm very unsure about zeromq when it comes to latency.

Any suggestions?

I think what you suggested is the best. Have one thread taking care of network reads and writes (handling the Enet context) and one or however many you need for what you would like to do in terms of other processing. If you are handling messages with one thread then even if there is interlocking due to some queue issues, that should not be a big problem as it's not that heavy operation (locking the mutex) and you don't actually wait all that long as you have 1kHz at most reads from the list, and if you construct the read/write to be "instant" like I suggest below then there should be no issue of waiting.

I solved this by having an in process list (with messages to be sent) and one in queue list (with messages to be soon added to be sent). Like this you off-load the interlocking by only making the lock-unlock depend on a super fast pointer setting operation between two lists.

1 ms is good I think, depends on your latency issues.

PS - Also you might be too smart for your own good. You seem to be doing future-proof-development. Just wing it, implement it and see ;-)

There are two main options:

1) Use a thread for networking. Set the timeout to infinity. Use some kind of queue between network thread and main (or other processing) threads. That queue could be non-blocking if you want, if you know how to deal with back-ups/overflows.

2) Poll networking in your main thread. Unless your main thread funnels all different timing events into a single dispatcher (clock, I/O, etc) then it's likely best to pass a zero timeout, to make it truly a "poll" rather than a "wait."
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
If you want to see a source-code of an implementation of the 2nd solution that hplus described, you can check out my UdpKit networking library: https://github.com/fholm/udpkit

More specifically you can check out the chat example: https://github.com/fholm/udpkit/blob/master/src/managed/udpkit.example.chat/Program.cs as it implements this type of polling that hplus describes. All of this is in C# so maybe it doesnt apply for you.

I am wondering about this myself. I use a thread which Enet is created and managed on. The whole thing boils down to 1ms latency vs 100% CPU usage.

In the networking thread I can set the timeout to 1ms, such that it will use less then 1% of the CPU. But this may cause 1ms latency, or if Sleep() is used inside the Enet library upto 10ms iirc. I have only found some while loops in the Enet code, I can't figure out how it waits for packets, maybe it has driver interupts waking it up. Which eliminates the latency, but idk.

Or have a 0ms timeout and the thread will consume 100% of the core it is running on. So I don't know which to use to be honest.

But anyway, I don't think one should have more then 1ms timeout. Since your main thread needs to send packets too. If you have a 5000ms timeout then you only send out packets every 5seconds...

I don't think Enet has internal threads for recieving/sending packets. Because if you don't service the host within 15-20seconds it will disconnect from the server. So if you have it in your main thread and the game freeze for 20sec then you disconnect.

this may cause 1ms latency

If you have a 5000ms timeout then you only send out packets every 5seconds

I would expect Enet to return immediately if there is any data received, not wait the full time-out.
Thus, as long as data is coming in, there is zero latency between received data and getting the data in the program (for the first piece -- the next piece gets whatever latency your processing imposes.)

Now, for the outgoing data, you will need some kind of maximum send rate. One packet 20 times a second? That would mean you should set the timeout to no more than 50 milliseconds.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Now, for the outgoing data, you will need some kind of maximum send rate. One packet 20 times a second? That would mean you should set the timeout to no more than 50 milliseconds.

I disagree. Suppose your enemy is using a spell on you or some other action. You want to get that packet ASAP. For position updates 50ms between each packet is fine.
You don't want Enet to manage how often you send packets. You want Enet to send a packet as soon as you tell it to. You can't have Enet waiting 50ms on another thread while an outgoing packets is waiting to be sent. If you are "lucky" and get an incoming message in those 50ms then your waiting is interupted and you can send that outgoing packet, but be unlucky and that outgoing packets sits in a queue for 50ms.
You want another layer ontop of Enet to decide which packets are sent and at what frequency. And thus Enet must be very responsive for any requests, be it a position update or an action.
So, 1ms (which can mean upto 10ms if Sleep() is used inside Enet) or 100% CPU usage....

Okey, so I implemented something that seems to work well;

2 threads and 2 queues.

1 thread for handling networking, 1 for the game.

1 queue for incoming data, 1 for outgoing data.

Does this seem like a reasonable design? I don't want to get hung up on this, but on the other hand I don't want to make a lot code smell -- Like, I don't want to spend a month later rewriting the entire network only because my prototype implementation was bad.

Other than to beware of concurrent edits (e.g. network thread adding to the queue while the processing thread is removing from the queue) yes, that can work quite well. The network is just a data transfer medium. You are right to want to keep it simple. Write data, read data, that's it.

The interesting part is what you do with that data inside the game.

Other than to beware of concurrent edits (e.g. network thread adding to the queue while the processing thread is removing from the queue) yes, that can work quite well. The network is just a data transfer medium. You are right to want to keep it simple. Write data, read data, that's it.

The interesting part is what you do with that data inside the game.

Well, I'm locking the queues while I'm reading or writing to them. The current mechanism tries to;

Network thread --

Lock incoming queue and write to it, then unlock

Lock outgoing queue and send packages, then unlock

Game thread --

Lock outgoing thread and write to it, then unlock

Lock incoming queue and read from it, then unlock.

Just to minimize locking. Probably not perfect, but it works so far and I'm happy.

If any of you have any experience regarding entity-component-systems and how to integrate network to them easily while still keeping them flexible/extendable, the whole point of a entity-component-system, then please drop by in my other thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement