Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isometric? NEWBIE QUEST

This topic is 5887 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m a complete newbie. I read some of the turotials on Isometric stuff but i have some questions that if someone could just say "Yes, you got it right" i would greatly appreciate it. Here is what i think I know: Isometric tile maps have the tiles at angles The angle gives the illusion of 3D on a 2D surface Age of Empires is an Isometric game Any other info would be great! RELIGION IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

quote:
Original post by DanG
I''m a complete newbie.

I read some of the turotials on Isometric stuff but i have some questions that if someone could just say "Yes, you got it right" i would greatly appreciate it.

Here is what i think I know:

Isometric tile maps have the tiles at angles
The angle gives the illusion of 3D on a 2D surface
Age of Empires is an Isometric game

Any other info would be great!

RELIGION IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

What the Isometric stuff is basically all about is:
You have a big graphic file (full of small tiles)
(e.g a tree is made of 6 Tiles). You read the positions of every tile in that graphic file into a 2D Array and assign a unique ID to that tile.

Later if you wanna load, you draw the places of the array to the screen or backbuffer. (You gotto draw it at an angle.)

The map is then saved in a file (You just save the unique ID numbers of the Tile used.)

Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor written by a 2 bit company that can''''t stand 1 bit of competition.

Sorry I forgot to enter my mail, I tried to change it, but I didnt know how to do it.
My mail is xe_sphinx@hotmail.com

I read the sig somewhere in the www.Buschhackers.de board

Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor written by a 2 bit company that can''''t stand 1 bit of competition.