Time for some new headphones

Started by
26 comments, last by wack 10 years ago

So, I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones, sub $200 US. (I prefer closed back, over-ear) A couple people have suggested the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or M50x, and I've tried on a pair of M50s... They do sound pretty excellent, though the earcups felt a little small to me. What do you all think? I definitely like the nice flatish frequency response, but I'm overall not particularly an audiophile. Would you suggest trying them, or perhaps there's some alternative that you think would be better?

(I'm also considering stepping it down to the M40x or an equivalent, since they're significantly cheaper)

There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Advertisement
Unless you are in some sort of studio audio developer or one of the freaks who claim they can hear the difference of Monster cables for digital signals, I recommend whatever $20-$50 headphones you can find on walmart shelves that fit your oversized ears, or more economically, some $5 earbuds.

There are essentially three types of headphones in the price range - Studio, DJ, and Gaming. Studio are the flattest and they're what most of the audiophile types will recommend. They're fine and they're what I use, but they're not necessarily what people are looking for. In that selection there are some nice ones at the hundred dollar mark, including the Sennheiser HD280 Pro and the AKG K240. Be aware that the studio type headphones tend to be very high impedance, which is difficult for on-board audio chips to drive sometimes. Volume may not get very high.

I don't know what's the story with the DJ types, presumably they're better with club environments (louder?).

Gaming headphones tend to have stuff like wireless connectivity, surround sound, much more punchy bass, etc. Often they are USB type systems with built-in sound hardware. If you want those features, then look into gaming sets.

Other things of interest are the type of back -- closed for better isolation, (semi-)open for better/wider imaging. The weight and cushion type, which will affect comfort. Whether or not they fold up. Whether or not the cable is detachable/replaceable. Same for the cushions. That sort of thing.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I recommend whatever $20-$50 headphones you can find on walmart shelves that fit your oversized ears, or more economically, some $5 earbuds.

While I agree that some audiophiles may be crazy, you will definitely hear the difference between $200 headphones and $20 headphones.

It all comes down to the frequency response of the drivers. Cheap headphones will probably have more frequency response in the high range. A good pair of audio-technicas should have a more even response curve, and other brands like beats audio has way more volume in the bass, and less in the mids.

While none of these is really "better" or the "right way of hearing it"....they DO sound different.

The m-50s are a good choice. I personally use and love these Sony headphones, although the build quality is a little cheap.

I've also used the beyerdynamic DT 770 pros, which sound really good, and are very comfortable.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

The studio sort seems more my speed, I don't like the overblown bass common these days, and I can hear a lot of the subtleties in music, though not as much as a true audiophile. I suppose that makes me more of a casual enthusiast :)

There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

I'd go for the M50x's in a minute if I were more confident in the fit/comfort (though sound professionals sells them with a free set of velvet earpads which are said to be far more comfortable).

I've also had the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32s suggested but I'd prefer something collapseable, and the Sony MDR-7506 though those seem to be rather limited in the high end. Hmm. This is hard :)

Thanks for the comments so far.

Studio headphones FTW. Besides, with those, if you want to forego audio fidelity for bass, you can plugin some post process on it and you'll get quality and the punchy sound :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Figure out if you live next to a Guitar Center or other music shop. They may have some studio-type headphones to try on. I like the K240s I have because they're lightweight and fit well on my head, but this stuff tends to be very personal. The girlfriend loves her HD280s but they're horribly uncomfortable for me.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I checked. Unfortunately there isn't a Guitar Center for some distance from here. Good idea, though.

I recommend whatever $20-$50 headphones you can find on walmart shelves that fit your oversized ears, or more economically, some $5 earbuds.

Uh, there is a difference between cheap crappy headphones and good ones. And yes, you do pay more for better headphones albeit not all expensive headphones are necessarily better.

As for the aux cables, cheap ones will short sooner, and sometimes you get interference. Same goes with cheap HDMI cables, especially when dealing with 3D televisions.

Sometimes however you can find good headphones for cheap. Skullcandy might be okay for the price though.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement