Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ligeron

Advice for game engine

This topic is 1767 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello everyone! i would like to know your opinion on which engine should be better and most effective for top-down racing games (like gtaI and II) with elements of rpg, like completing missions and upgrading cars. also i want good looking grafics with dynamic lights, weather etc.
Now i don't have any previous experience in game making and programing. i do have knowledge in 3d modeling. i watched some tuts about udk, unity, gamemaker etc. and i want to learn ONE of them and i want it to be the right one.
also would appriciate your opinion on blender for modeling objects for games.

Advertisement

Of the three you mentioned I would recommend Unity. I have never tried UDK, but been told that it should get a bit annoying if you try to do stuff too different from an fps styled game. Gamemaker is out of the question if you are in it for the graphics.

Unity does require you to learn programming, but it does a lot of the work for you. If you have some money you should look in to buying the Play Maker extension for it. I've heard a lot of great things about it smile.png

As for blender I would clearly say yes. I am not a modeler, and have only done a few models in Blender. Just remembered this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/653352-blender-for-making-games/

Edited by VildNinja

thanks. are there othere engines that i didn't mention and are worth cheking? what about cryengine?

Given what you said, no.  You need programming experience for all engines, just less so with Unity 3D.  CryEngine 3, Unreal Engine 3, and Unreal Engine 4 are too involved for someone with no programming experience.

L. Spiro

I have used all three engines that you have mentioned in your original post and they are all certainly capeable of making a top down racer.  However the one I would recommend is Unity.  It has the largest comunity and there is no shortage of tutorials, videos, courses and books. So if you get stuck with anything then the information is out there.

Blender is perfect for making 3D content for games.

I'll just +1 again for the Unity option.  It gives you the ability to drag and drop all the pieces you would want to use in an intuitive fashion, and then you can start to dip your toes into programming by adding some simple scripts to objects.  I can also personally attest that its 2D support is pretty solid since 4.3 came out.

We're using Unity on Cryamore, and the scripting can grow into a full-blown back-end software solution, so it's a great sandbox for you to start to try things out.  Keep in mind it's not a sterile/vanilla development space, there are things going on with the code you write that you're not aware of as a beginner, but for the intents and purposes of learning to think like a program, a script is a great learning vehicle.

thanks for reply. is there any option to avoid programing? or at least less to deal with it? thats why i think to use udk instead of unity...
i have same narrow knoledge in C++ and i tried to write some simple scripts in C#. it just i would like to avoid it as much as i can because i dont have much free time and dont want to waste it on refreshing my knowledge in programing

The just-announced UE4 editor has a completely visual scripting system (no programming, just linking boxes with lines) and comes with all the visual punch you're looking for.  It's not free, but at $19 per month it has an insanely low barrier for entry.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!