Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Glass_Knife

What is the best 3D game to make first?

This topic is 1764 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've read lots of articles about 2D games where they suggest a path for development.  

http://web.archive.org/web/20051104034215/http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

There are many different opinions, but I think starting with Tetris is a great way to go.  But I have been unable to find a comparable 3D game for starting. 

So I ask you Gamedev, what do you think is the best clone/genre/style for your first complete 3D game, and why?

Advertisement

Resident Evil / Mario 64 / Star Fox 64

The best place to start is the beginning as they say and those are the games we as an art started educating ourselves how to handle 3D.

Resident Evil / Mario 64 / Star Fox 64

The best place to start is the beginning as they say and those are the games we as an art started educating ourselves how to handle 3D.

I was thinking about this, and I seem to remember that everyone released a driving game to get a handle on the 3D graphics.  That's just Star Fox on the ground.  Hmmm...

My first 3D game has been (of course) an RPG. http://i.imgur.com/OzhAThQ.jpg.

The thing with all of these pathways and timescales and suggested learning curves is that they never take into account an individual's personal interests. For example, if I had been required in the beginning to start out with Pong or Tetris, or to make a 3D racer as my first step in 3D, I would have just walked away from game development in general because those kinds of games simply are not in my area of interest at all. My focus has always been RPGs, and anything that deviates from that has been a side project at best. My advice is to follow your interests, and learn what it takes to make the 3D games that you want to make, not the games that supposed experts recommend you make.

I wasn't really concerned with just me, but was wondering more for all beginning game programmers.  Obviously, there are some types of games that will appeal to the individual more than others, but I was more interested in a game choice that provides the most opportunity for learning without being too difficult for a beginner.  We all know how easy it is to bite off too much when just starting out.

My first 3D game has been (of course) an RPG. http://i.imgur.com/OzhAThQ.jpg.The thing with all of these pathways and timescales and suggested learning curves is that they never take into account an individual's personal interests. For example, if I had been required in the beginning to start out with Pong or Tetris, or to make a 3D racer as my first step in 3D, I would have just walked away from game development in general because those kinds of games simply are not in my area of interest at all. My focus has always been RPGs, and anything that deviates from that has been a side project at best. My advice is to follow your interests, and learn what it takes to make the 3D games that you want to make, not the games that supposed experts recommend you make.

Great post :)

frob, if I could vote you up more, I'd give that last post a +10.

Thanks, but I don't think it really deserves it. 

It is advice you see everywhere if you look for it.  It ranges from the KISS acronym to the entire Unix philosophy. Do the easiest thing you can actually accomplish. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!