• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glass_Knife

What is the best 3D game to make first?

28 posts in this topic

I've read lots of articles about 2D games where they suggest a path for development.  

http://web.archive.org/web/20051104034215/http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

There are many different opinions, but I think starting with Tetris is a great way to go.  But I have been unable to find a comparable 3D game for starting. 

So I ask you Gamedev, what do you think is the best clone/genre/style for your first complete 3D game, and why?

Resident Evil / Mario 64 / Star Fox 64

The best place to start is the beginning as they say and those are the games we as an art started educating ourselves how to handle 3D.

Resident Evil / Mario 64 / Star Fox 64

The best place to start is the beginning as they say and those are the games we as an art started educating ourselves how to handle 3D.

I was thinking about this, and I seem to remember that everyone released a driving game to get a handle on the 3D graphics.  That's just Star Fox on the ground.  Hmmm...

My first 3D game has been (of course) an RPG. http://i.imgur.com/OzhAThQ.jpg.

The thing with all of these pathways and timescales and suggested learning curves is that they never take into account an individual's personal interests. For example, if I had been required in the beginning to start out with Pong or Tetris, or to make a 3D racer as my first step in 3D, I would have just walked away from game development in general because those kinds of games simply are not in my area of interest at all. My focus has always been RPGs, and anything that deviates from that has been a side project at best. My advice is to follow your interests, and learn what it takes to make the 3D games that you want to make, not the games that supposed experts recommend you make.

I wasn't really concerned with just me, but was wondering more for all beginning game programmers.  Obviously, there are some types of games that will appeal to the individual more than others, but I was more interested in a game choice that provides the most opportunity for learning without being too difficult for a beginner.  We all know how easy it is to bite off too much when just starting out.

My first 3D game has been (of course) an RPG. http://i.imgur.com/OzhAThQ.jpg.The thing with all of these pathways and timescales and suggested learning curves is that they never take into account an individual's personal interests. For example, if I had been required in the beginning to start out with Pong or Tetris, or to make a 3D racer as my first step in 3D, I would have just walked away from game development in general because those kinds of games simply are not in my area of interest at all. My focus has always been RPGs, and anything that deviates from that has been a side project at best. My advice is to follow your interests, and learn what it takes to make the 3D games that you want to make, not the games that supposed experts recommend you make.

Great post :)

frob, if I could vote you up more, I'd give that last post a +10.

Thanks, but I don't think it really deserves it. 

It is advice you see everywhere if you look for it.  It ranges from the KISS acronym to the entire Unix philosophy. Do the easiest thing you can actually accomplish. 

"I want to make an MMORPG" is the common refrain in the For Beginners forum.  After a brief explanation about what "MMO" means, the next week it becomes "I want to make an Online RPG", then after they post a few times in the online forum and discover it requires work, a few weeks later it becomes  "I want to make an offline RPG", then if they bother to follow up, becomes "game programming is stupid. What are good free game makers?" And then a few months after they appeared on the board, they vanish after learning that while playing games is fun and entertaining and a diversion, it is different than making games which requires thought and effort.

I was talking about this comedic bit here...

frob, I think it should be mentioned that using things like Unity one can easily apply 2D knowledge bases to 3D and that may actually cause people to think it is more easy to do something than it is. And adding what appears to be tiny features can cause a lot of work at either coding or understanding the concept.

I've come to the conclusion that what you have to do is to assign yourself homework, to complete small sections and slowly their effects add together to make whatever you want.

You can have a big idea if you can break it down and you have to have a good grasp of your skill levels and ability to acquire skills too... and willing to take the time to do it.

[...]

"I want to make an MMORPG" is the common refrain in the For Beginners forum.  After a brief explanation about what "MMO" means, the next week it becomes "I want to make an Online RPG", then after they post a few times in the online forum and discover it requires work, a few weeks later it becomes  "I want to make an offline RPG", then if they bother to follow up, becomes "game programming is stupid. What are good free game makers?" And then a few months after they appeared on the board, they vanish after learning that while playing games is fun and entertaining and a diversion, it is different than making games which requires thought and effort.

[...]

I can't count how many people tried learning game dev but gave up after some weeks when they realize how much work takes to make a totally stupid game. I guess I'm one in a million who can have more fun programming (games or not) than actually playing games. Games were part of my childhood (or should I say my entire childhood?) and after growing up I slowly got more selective about games, there are few out there that really can make me get into the game.

After some years of programming mostly for web, I realized how great it would be if I could make people have the same fun as I had when younger. Also, it's an unique sensation having all those pixels moving by your command (by your code, not just your clicks, I mean) and see people having fun with them. I guess that's the reason why I can have so much fun building a pacman, a tetris, or whatever the game.

It's not by the game itself, but the idea behind it, repaying all the work previous developers have spent with me, and direct this effort to the next generations.

About what kind of game would be better for starting with 3D, all I can do is recommend the obvious of trying something simply. It's the best way to keep things going forward (maybe slowly, but forward).

You could make Pong in 3D =)  I did that for some school project a looong time ago.  In fact, I think I did it entirely within a bit blt. (it was one of those low level classes where they teach bresenham's line algorithm)

FPS Space games are a nice option, as they don't require all that much to get flying around.  Basic FPS games in general aren't that bad, if you discount networking, AI and graphics and just concentrate on a first person camera moving around and shooting with simple graphics.

Edited by ferrous

I note that JTippetts' goblin project looks like it is now in year 11.

11 years? ohmy.png

30 for you

In general when doing 3D you must do some milestone steps I know of

- setup things and do show some procedural generated scene

- made some camera for it

- made code to load and show some 3d models form some common object format

thats where i stopped ;/ (Im doing 2d mostly), If some more experienced

person could add some more points to this list, I suspect that it maybe could be: ? some thing for objects animation, ? some code for objects interaction (collisions etc), ? more advanced lightning/coloring tehniques

???

it may sound easy but each point on this list takes its time 

From my own experience the easiest 3d games to make are first person 3d maze type games or very basic FPSs.  Just a bunch of cubes as walls add some user input to move around and some tile based collision and you are halfway there.

Interesting, Very Interesting.  My First 3D game was based off a 1980s space/Planet Exploration Game.  The Game used pixel plotting to simulate 3D Graphics.  Everything was an outline of what it was supposed to represent.  Mountains, Buildings Bridges, Spacecraft were all pixel plotted outlines.  The game had 3 difficulty levels from easy ( Strictly Exploration) to Very Difficult ( High Frequency of attacking enemies ).    There was supposed to be collision detection so that you could not fly through objects, which did not work.

So as a Beginner's First 3D Project The game was Simple.  The Game had only 2 spacecraft, yours and the enemy with geosync Space Station.  I began by building My version of these spacecraft  with the 3D modeling software and as they were completed, would animate flight in my code.  The terrain was also kept simple, Sticking to the original game premise, Only expanding it by adding different Models.

Basically, In my opinion, as a complete first 3D Game project. Keeping it simple, with a game outline that is equally simple, but that would keep a player's interest would be essential.  In the original game, the exploration required you to discover space artifacts that gave clues on how to secure the planet's safety from enemy attacks.  I accomplished this by randomly placing these items around the Terrain at the beginning of a campaign.

Again - Keeping it simple, with something as the programmer, you are interested in

I suggest something like pacman, but done in 3D so it becomes a flat dungeon crawler type game.  For an example have a look at my Ghost Toast game: http://www.marekknows.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=531

All the collisions are done mainly in 2D so it isn't a giant step to go from 2D to 3D.  The next step after that would be to start tacking on extra height in the level to make things "more" 3D. 

11 years? :o
30 for you
Not really :/

11 years? ohmy.png
30 for you
Not really :/

belive