What is the best 3D game to make first?

Started by
27 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 10 years, 1 month ago

Interesting, Very Interesting. My First 3D game was based off a 1980s space/Planet Exploration Game. The Game used pixel plotting to simulate 3D Graphics. Everything was an outline of what it was supposed to represent. Mountains, Buildings Bridges, Spacecraft were all pixel plotted outlines. The game had 3 difficulty levels from easy ( Strictly Exploration) to Very Difficult ( High Frequency of attacking enemies ). There was supposed to be collision detection so that you could not fly through objects, which did not work.

So as a Beginner's First 3D Project The game was Simple. The Game had only 2 spacecraft, yours and the enemy with geosync Space Station. I began by building My version of these spacecraft with the 3D modeling software and as they were completed, would animate flight in my code. The terrain was also kept simple, Sticking to the original game premise, Only expanding it by adding different Models.

Basically, In my opinion, as a complete first 3D Game project. Keeping it simple, with a game outline that is equally simple, but that would keep a player's interest would be essential. In the original game, the exploration required you to discover space artifacts that gave clues on how to secure the planet's safety from enemy attacks. I accomplished this by randomly placing these items around the Terrain at the beginning of a campaign.

Again - Keeping it simple, with something as the programmer, you are interested in

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

Advertisement

I've read lots of articles about 2D games where they suggest a path for development.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051104034215/http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

There are many different opinions, but I think starting with Tetris is a great way to go. But I have been unable to find a comparable 3D game for starting.

So I ask you Gamedev, what do you think is the best clone/genre/style for your first complete 3D game, and why?

A 3d astroid clone.

Advantages:

- you dont need vertex/skeletal animation (just models)

- you can use a simple import format (obj)

- you need to render basics (simple particles, simple models,'sky')

- you dont need to render advanced topics like terrain,foilage,skeletal animation

- you need to code/use a simple physics and controls

- no ai needed

- and finally: lot of fun blasting up things (++)

I suggest something like pacman, but done in 3D so it becomes a flat dungeon crawler type game. For an example have a look at my Ghost Toast game: http://www.marekknows.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=531

All the collisions are done mainly in 2D so it isn't a giant step to go from 2D to 3D. The next step after that would be to start tacking on extra height in the level to make things "more" 3D.

I note that JTippetts' goblin project looks like it is now in year 11.

11 years? :o
30 for you
Not really :/

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

11 years? ohmy.png
30 for you
Not really :/

belive

11 years? ohmy.png

Sort of. I did join GDNet about 10 years ago, and since then I've been working on various iterations of isometric RPG for learning purposes. Goblinson Crusoe as it exists, though, was started from scratch three years ago and the 3D iteration of it about one year ago. But even those numbers (10 years, 3 years, 1 year) are hard to pin down, since in the meantime I've also written and published 5 novels, had two kids, built a woodworking business, bought one house and built another, etc... game programming has always been just a hobby, one from which I have often taken great, long breaks, sometimes for as much as a year or more.

In light of that fact, my personal opinions on these various learning progression programs are probably not relevant, since I don't feel the pressure that some young person just starting out might be feeling.

In light of that fact, my personal opinions on these various learning progression programs are probably not relevant, since I don't feel the pressure that some young person just starting out might be feeling.

Actually, I think everything you've said has really helped me think about this stuff from another angle. I know that when I was starting out, I worked on what I was interested in, and if I had been forced to make some kind of game that wasn't my thing I would not have enjoyed it.

The problem is that 3D graphics, by themselves, are so complicated, but beginners don't understand. First they learn about 2D games, with a game loop, timers, sprites, input, sound, AI, collision detection, and a whole host of other things. Then they want to add 3D graphics, like it is just an extra step.

"One does not simply add 3D graphics to a game." The same way you can't just take a game an add networking and make it a multi-player game. But in the beginning, when you have no idea how hard this stuff is, you think "well, it's just 3D graphics instead of 2D graphics, and the grapics card does all the work anyway, so it should be easy."

The more I think about it, I don't think there is a "simple 3D game" that teaches everything.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

A good beginning game is a Rubik's cube simulator. It's you, 36 polygons and no way out without actually understanding rotations. (Which sounds like it would be the worst locked room puzzle in an RPG ever.)

I second this suggestion.

I've read lots of articles about 2D games where they suggest a path for development.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051104034215/http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

There are many different opinions, but I think starting with Tetris is a great way to go. But I have been unable to find a comparable 3D game for starting.

So I ask you Gamedev, what do you think is the best clone/genre/style for your first complete 3D game, and why?

A 3d astroid clone.

Advantages:

- you dont need vertex/skeletal animation (just models)

- you can use a simple import format (obj)

- you need to render basics (simple particles, simple models,'sky')

- you dont need to render advanced topics like terrain,foilage,skeletal animation

- you need to code/use a simple physics and controls

- no ai needed

- and finally: lot of fun blasting up things (++)

I was going to suggest this.

My next suggestion after that would be a Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake clone. Seeing as those were the grand-daddies of 3D gaming.

All you need to start off with with thoses are: your player, a room, an enemy, and movement for player and enemy. Then you can add weapons, health, armor, [better] physics, items, doors, more rooms.

Something a bit more challenging would be a variation of Marble Madness. (?)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement