• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
espa

Unreal Engine now available for $19.99 a month and 5% royalty

16 posts in this topic

Is this a cut down version? I thought Unreal contracts had a higher royalty rate than that.

I don't think so. 

Edited by españa

All that plus introducing a unity style store... This could be a game changer.

Note that it is $20 per user per month.  So if you have 5 developers on your team and it takes a year to build the game, that is $1200 you just paid in development tools, plus 5% of your gross revenue.

The engine is certainly good, just be aware that if you are counting your money in a startup, the fees to use it can multiply quickly. If you do the math and it works out for you, wonderful. If you do the math and it doesn't work for you, there are alternatives. Either way, if you are considering Unreal for your game engine be sure you do all the math when picking a license.

Note that it is $20 per user per month.  So if you have 5 developers on your team and it takes a year to build the game, that is $1200 you just paid in development tools, plus 5% of your gross revenue.

However you only have to keep paying if you want the updates; if you pay for 3 months and then stop you can keep using the tools you just can't grab any updates after your sub expires.

The 5% thing, of course, remains smile.png

(A note of transparency : I work for a company who work with Epic however I have no intention of misleading anyone smile.png)

It's certainly giving an alternative to Unity Pros $75 per month. (Incidentally has everyone seen the trailer for Unity 5? Looks like some nice improvements).

I thought it was interesting, too.

What prevented an impulse signup is

• IDE support
  • Lack of spare time
  • The kind of projects I am planning to work on
  • and that I could not find much information about what difference subscribing through Epic Games International S.à r.l. (residence not in the United States of America) makes.

It is on my radar now, though.

I've been totally into Unity until now, but I'm going to take the leap.

What sold it for me is:

-There is no unique scripting language anymore, it's all C++.

-It does 2D and has example projects for many different game types.

-While Unity can look pretty good (mostly if you buy the expensive pro version).  This is going to look pretty much as good as you can get with no features hidden behind paywalls.

-Being comfortable with how this works is likely to be very useful for future employment options (though hopefully I'll never have to leave my current job).

-I love the idea that I can cancel my subscription now and still have this amazing code base to learn from and play around with forever.

Very interesting and tempting -- will consider this for awhile, with peaking interest after reading comments, almost buying for several months even as interest wanes in the absence of necessity, before forgetting about it. Just got comfortable with Unity...

The engine is certainly good, just be aware that if you are counting your money in a startup, the fees to use it can multiply quickly. If you do the math and it works out for you, wonderful. If you do the math and it doesn't work for you, there are alternatives. Either way, if you are considering Unreal for your game engine be sure you do all the math when picking a license.

$1200 is the tip of the iceberg when licensing software. Let's face it, the cost of Max / Maya is astronomical in comparison. Creative Cloud will also cost you.

Just with everything there are cheaper or free alternatives, but they are not the same.

$1200 is the tip of the iceberg when licensing software. Let's face it, the cost of Max / Maya is astronomical in comparison. Creative Cloud will also cost you.

Just with everything there are cheaper or free alternatives, but they are not the same.

Not to mention that most programmers I know can spend more than $20 on coffee alone in a week... This is a very cost effective tool. 

I had a look. The mobile part of it doesn't look too good. Basically, you can't even get dynamic shadows for iPad2 device.

I had a look. The mobile part of it doesn't look too good. Basically, you can't even get dynamic shadows for iPad2 device.

However, this is the very first release, aimed at early adopters. It's powerful, but not very polished, and it requires a beefy desktop computer. Rough areas include:

The 'rough areas' include both iOS and Android support.