Unreal Engine now available for $19.99 a month and 5% royalty

Started by
15 comments, last by ambershee 10 years, 1 month ago

I think this is incredible and especially so for the community that frequents these boards. What do you guys think? Anyone plan on signing up?

edit (link to info): https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

Advertisement

Is this a cut down version? I thought Unreal contracts had a higher royalty rate than that.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Is this a cut down version? I thought Unreal contracts had a higher royalty rate than that.

I don't think so.

With full source access! Wow

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

All that plus introducing a unity style store... This could be a game changer.

Note that it is $20 per user per month. So if you have 5 developers on your team and it takes a year to build the game, that is $1200 you just paid in development tools, plus 5% of your gross revenue.

The engine is certainly good, just be aware that if you are counting your money in a startup, the fees to use it can multiply quickly. If you do the math and it works out for you, wonderful. If you do the math and it doesn't work for you, there are alternatives. Either way, if you are considering Unreal for your game engine be sure you do all the math when picking a license.

Note that it is $20 per user per month. So if you have 5 developers on your team and it takes a year to build the game, that is $1200 you just paid in development tools, plus 5% of your gross revenue.

However you only have to keep paying if you want the updates; if you pay for 3 months and then stop you can keep using the tools you just can't grab any updates after your sub expires.

The 5% thing, of course, remains smile.png

(A note of transparency : I work for a company who work with Epic however I have no intention of misleading anyone smile.png)

You can even just pay 20$ once for half a year, just to grab an update.

It's certainly giving an alternative to Unity Pros $75 per month. (Incidentally has everyone seen the trailer for Unity 5? Looks like some nice improvements).

I thought it was interesting, too.

What prevented an impulse signup is

• IDE support
  • Lack of spare time
  • The kind of projects I am planning to work on
  • and that I could not find much information about what difference subscribing through Epic Games International S.à r.l. (residence not in the United States of America) makes.

It is on my radar now, though.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement