A whole decade, and the software is still sub-par.

Started by
30 comments, last by Aardvajk 10 years ago

Small team or whatnot, and I am sure they are proud of their accomplisment, but if it were me, I would be comparing my software to other software in my genre, and very quickly I would say to myself, "all that time for nothing."

You're on a very high horse here. Have you actually completed and released anything?

Advertisement

I can get depressed thinking of the time put into working around ram and cpu limitations only 6-7 years ago. Imagine how the old punch card guys must feel.

The Four Horsemen of Happiness have left.

Small team or whatnot, and I am sure they are proud of their accomplisment, but if it were me, I would be comparing my software to other software in my genre, and very quickly I would say to myself, "all that time for nothing."

You're on a very high horse here. Have you actually completed and released anything?

No. I haven't as far as programming goes, because I'm new to it, but in other areas of my life I have. Very few things I find worth doing and completing. But sometimes I do it as a challenge to myself. However, I am more critical of my own work than others (very critical in fact). I always compare myself to others to get a realistic idea of my skill level.

In this case, I am comparing one company's work to another company's work. Both made a similar software, but one is far superior to the other. If I worked 10 + years on something, I would want it to not be obsolete by the time I finish it.

This matters to me mainly because I am new. Trying to get some perspective on actual time and effort that goes into programming, so I can be sure whether or not it is something I want to go deeper into.

I mean, if you love it, then sure, it's worth the effort. But for me, learning programming and game development is yet another challenge I gave myself. Hopefully one that could pay off soon.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

If you are looking for faster ways to do things why not program something that makes it faster.
Isn't that what programming can do? Yet, i've seen only one do it.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Haha. No, not Duke Nukem. I didn't want to name the company. Didn't want to put them on blast like that. But they recently released Version 1 after over a decade of development and I hadn't realized it had been that long, but when I saw it I wondered if I could dedicate that much of my life to just one project that quickly becomes obsolete because of technology changes and such.

Why not? their is no reason to protect a company here, it's a valid discussion point. and honestly it might open up a few avenue's to explain why things happened like they did. at this point it's all just guess work, or it might even be that it's actually good software to most people, but you don't think it is. really all we have to go on is your word that they made a bad product, and nothing else.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Okay. I'll name the software. The software is makehuman. Been following it for a while. However while waiting for some large update to occur that would blow me away, I learned of Quidam studio.

Feature wise, quidam studio far surpasses makehuman, but it has fallen off the map.

There are some things I use makehuman for, but I read somewhere where they said they were trying to make the best character creator. Thing is, after 10 years they are not even close (actually 12).

I'm not saying it is bad, just that it is sub-par, and that it made me wonder if I could dedicate a decade to anything that wouldn't be the best in its class.

Well, MakeHuman is a well respected piece of software. What exactly makes you consider it sub-par? I suspect it is just your personal preferences rather than anything qualitative to be honest.

I got on better with Paint Shop Pro than Photoshop back in the day. That doesn't make Paint Shop Pro better than Photoshop, just that this one particular person (me) happened to prefer PSP.

Actually quidam studio and makehuman are comparable. I haven't made a list if feature comparisons, but they serve the same purposes, so basically I am comparing features, usefulness, stability etc.

Same way I could compare and contrast Daz Studio and Poser.

I do like the proxy meshes in makehuman, as well as the choice of rig exports. quidam studio also has a Level Of Detail export and a rig export. A feature by feature comparison would put Quidam Studio way ahead.

I hadn't seen any "good" human model made in make human, that is until now. The difference between the model in that tutorial and a real human is non-existent (at least 0.00000 . . . 1)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

So why is MakeHuman sub-par then? No specific reasons?

This thread is weird.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement