Looking for a game engine that are for beginners and runs on macs.

Started by
12 comments, last by mk.jr.fan 10 years ago

Did you check out Enigma engine? Pretty much GameMaker but free. Most GameMaker projects and tutorials will work with very minor adjustments. Projects get translated to C++ then compiled to binary for either Windows, Mac or Linux. Haven't had a chance to dive too deep with it other than to try my GameMaker projects in it, but seems promising.

Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
Advertisement

@Vikato: If the GM4Mac doesn't work, I will try the Enigma. The only thing is that it does look exactly like GameMaker but it just feels a little bit different, but if I have to use it I will. Also would you know if the coding is in GML? I'm not really sure because I think on the website it said it is some hybrid of that and C++.

@Vikato: If the GM4Mac doesn't work, I will try the Enigma. The only thing is that it does look exactly like GameMaker but it just feels a little bit different, but if I have to use it I will. Also would you know if the coding is in GML? I'm not really sure because I think on the website it said it is some hybrid of that and C++.

The engima IDE works on Mac too for if you didn't see it. It looks indeed a lot like GameMaker and the functionality is very much the same. You may notice some rough edges here and there, at least when I tried it some time ago, but it worked.

GML will work in Enigma like it would inside GM for 99% of the cases. But you can also use some special types and/or other functionality from C++. For example, if you replace a normal variable from GameMaker with a C++-typed one, the performance may be literally hundred times better. But you don't have to use this functionality.

Okay then that might work out perfectly if the the actual GM for Mac doesn't work out. Thanks guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement