Beginner's dilemma

Started by
8 comments, last by buck71 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello I have been learning C for some time now and have got to the point where I want to start working on my own basic game, something like tetris or whatever. I can''t find any tutorials or books though that explain how to do this in C. What should I learn next? DirectX? Is there a good games/graphics book which uses C? Does anyone have any tips here? Eventually I would like to make something for the Gameboy Advance, or something like that anyway. Any help would be really great Buck71
Advertisement
Yes, you will probably want to learn DirectX - at least some parts, if not all.
A great grounding in DirectX can be found in Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus, although it is a little dated now. I can''t think of any others offhand unless you want to learn from the Microsoft documentation (it ain''t that bad, but might be a little overwhelming for a DX beginner). You could always try looking at the site NeXe, which has some DirectX tutorials on it.
Starting on a tetris-like game is a reasonable idea, since it is fairly simple and can teach you a bunch of things. Just don''t call it Tetris or make it exactly the same because you may get into legal wranglings.

-Mezz
Thanks Mezz

Do you know of any books which would enable me to continue in the direction of making games but build on what I have learned in C?

buck
It sounds like you should get your hands on a copy of "Windows Game Programming For Dummies". It´ll teach you the basics of 2D game programming using C and DirectX.

PJ
Altough C is good, it would eventually be a wise choice to migrate to object oriented programming, not only it offers tons of benefits to programmers with classes but since its a standard now you should think seriously about it. Of course there is still plenty of old school guys out there using Ansi C. But trust me i faced the choice not long ago, and i found that adopting C++ is a really good thing. Btw i have game programming for dummies and it is very good for beginers and its in C, also if you are interrested in OpenGl, OpenGl game programming has plenty of both C and C++, giving a view on the two ways of doing things.

May the code be with us !
May the code be with us !
My recommendation is to learn OpenGL first.

Go here and download the tutorials 1 - 6.
quote:Original post by Jonus
My recommendation is to learn OpenGL first.

Ah, the API fascists!

My recommendation is to try both, and go with whichever you prefer (and if you prefer both, go with both).

I wanna work for Microsoft!
Lol... I would say DL the DirectX 8 sdk (given that you have a good compiler, like MS Visual C++ 6), and play with a few of the examples. I''ve been slowly building a DirectX 8 game now for a couple months, and it''s still less than 1000 lines of code. No books- just reading through the 50+ examples that came with Dx.

-Tok. (Guess that makes me a facist, huh? )

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
*Howdy Kids, Do /YOU/ know what time it is? It''s tangent time* -Baldor the Bold
--------------------------~The Feature Creep of the Family~
I would also have to recommend trying both out and choose the one that suits you best. Nehe is a good one for OpenGL and Nexe is a good one for DirectX. If you do a web search, you can find about a dozen web sites for either API. Good luck!
quote:Original post by Tok
(Guess that makes me a facist, huh? )

Not necessarily. For example, I only use Direct3D for graphics (which is another sin of the API fascists; too quick to say "don''t use DirectX, use OpenGL" and leave the poor n00bs asking how to do joystick input in OpenGL) but I recommend everyone to try both or more; I evaluated OpenGL, SDL as a wrapper, Direct3D, CDX as a wrapper and a bunch of engines as well. I settled on vanilla DX.

Besides, I hate writing graphics code.

This is not a plug for DirectX:

I wanna work for Microsoft!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement