• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riley5678

Whats the best language for game development?

16 posts in this topic

I want to try making a game for windows phone/ios/android to see if its something i would like to do more of. however i have n ideas where to start. I know python3 and parts of c#. Would any of your recommend any different languages or any tutorials that would be useful. Thanks for any help in advance.

Nope. Stick with C# and get unity. It's good for 2d/3d games, uses C# and supports all the platforms you listed.

Nope. Stick with C# and get unity. It's good for 2d/3d games, uses C# and supports all the platforms you listed.

thanks do you know if there is any tutorials available?

thanks do you know if there is any tutorials available?
Yes there are. A lot on google, youtube and on their site.
Sorry i can't provide any actual link.

I will say it again. There's no perfect language: It's a personal opinion. This thread opens up a can of worms, and I'm going to message the mod so it can be locked.

I don't know what to say about this.
@bratie: thanks. I am a bit confused :/

another option for you is monogame. it is based on the xna framework but open-source and enables you to export to android ios etc.

personally i find it a lot simpler than unity. but tbh unity is the way forward

I will say it again. There's no perfect language: It's a personal opinion. This thread opens up a can of worms, and I'm going to message the mod so it can be locked.

I agree across the board. There is definitely no perfect language and is a matter of personal opinion. Hardcore programmers who favor one language over the other will recommend their language. The most common languages that I see recommended are C, C++, C#, Java, HTML5, and Python. Tools recommended are usually Unity or GameMaker. I'm primarily a C++ programmer, but I know how complex the language is so if you are familiar with a language then get good at that language before going to another language. 

Isn't Lua also recommended via LOVE? 

In order to become successful game developer you have to master more than single programming language. For example, majority of AAA titles use C++ for their rendering engine, some scripting languages like Lua/Python for game logic/scripting AI behaviour - basically majority of high-level performance-independant tasks, and Java/C#/C++ for server side.

Regarding your question, I would say stick with C# and use Unity - it is extremely popular atm, tho a bit expensive once you want to publish your games on mobile platforms. Also you might be interested in CryEngine or UnrealEngine special offers for indie game developers - recently they became ridiculously cheap.

I personally use AS3 atm - it is similar to JavaScript, hence very simple, but thanks to some libraries, is highly performant on mobile devices and you can make desktop/mobile games with it just fine (2D ones). Additionally, I am learning Java - because our server is written on it.

Edited by GuardianX

>.>

<.<

Engrish!

But seriously, you should just use whatever you're comfortable with, if you can write pseudo-code you should be able to pretty simply transfer the pseudo-code to whatever language you need it in or at least be able to write any language with a reference book. Certainly with the number of languages out there that have sprung up in the short amount of time some languages have come to prevalence it seems to me that learning any specific language as your primary is somewhat worthless as no doubt languages will continue to advance and becomes better/easier to program in. So it's far more important in my opinion to know the logic than it is to know the language.