Need suggestions on where and how to get started with building a game engine.

Started by
0 comments, last by Mouser9169 10 years ago

So guys, I am a second year computer science undergrad student and I am quite interested in building a game engine. The question is how and from where do I get started ? I would also like to add that I am taking a classes in computer graphics programming and at present I am dealing with 2D/3D graphics programming in C/C++. Can you guys suggest ways to get started ?

Advertisement

As of a week ago or so, Epic is offering a full source code license for Unreal Engine 4 for $19.

You can join, download all the code, and cancel so you don't pay month to month (Something Epic even suggests somewhere).

Unreal is built using C++,and has been in development for over a decade by some of the best in the biz, so should be an example dripping with awesomesauce for you to read through. Yes, I said read through - you want to learn to be a writer? read a lot of books; you want to learn to be an artist? visit a lot of museums; You want to learn to write good code? ...

That will give you great examples of both the 'big picture' theory of how a game engine is built and all the moving parts, and also the details of any specific sections you want to dive down and really dig into.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement