Exporting "to WebGL"!?

Started by
3 comments, last by DareDeveloper 10 years ago

Hi,

I am currently trying to figure out how synthetically generated data can be stored in memory (by web applications).

While researching, the Wikipedia article confused me a little:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebGL

The scenes are then exported to WebGL. There are also services to publish interactive 3D content online using WebGL.

What does the article try to tell me? Is WebGL also a filetype? Is the content exported as WebGL instructions (JavaScript instructions, maybe)?

Does WebGL support a JSON formatted 3D scene / model format out of the box?

Or has the article been written carelessly and in reality there is no standard filetype for WebGL?

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

Advertisement

Or has the article been written carelessly and in reality there is no standard filetype for WebGL?
Yes, it means they're exported to a format that will be able to be easily rendered by WebGL...

You'll also see this careless lingo with game engines that support "exporting to WebGL/HTML5" as a target. In that case they mean they're converting your code to JavaScript, making some boilerplate HTML/CSS, exporting your assets to Javascript/browser-friendly formats, etc...

WebGL is just a standard definition for a graphic library like OpenGL, and doesn't specify a file format (that's not a graphic concern). Anyway, you can use an API like Three.js that has some loaders implemented for different file formats, and I guess others have too.

You may want to look at glTF, it's a runtime format from Khronos. It's designed originally for webGL. Currently the way to get models in the format is to convert from Collada using their tool, but I'm working on a Blender import/export for it.

cheers,

Bob

[size="3"]Halfway down the trail to Hell...

Thanks all, that is pretty much what I thought. I just feared I might be missing something fundamental.

glTF might be interesting in the relatively near future, but right now I am collecting information ... mostly the more basic kind, so far.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement