Disbelief over publisher behaviour!

Started by
18 comments, last by cliffski 22 years, 5 months ago
Well I am stunned. I consider myself a patient and reasonable guy. I have dealt with dozens of publishers over the years but a post on a publishers intranet site directed at me has just knocked me for six. Basically the publisher swears at me, criticises my behaviour, tells me I have broken the law by signing a deal with someone else, and then physically threatens me! If i made this up it would sound far fetched but its true! Weird huh? just goes to show you that the one thing I have learned from all this publisher nonsense is this: SHAREWARE RULES. I get my registration-service checks each month without excuses, abuse or threats against mny person. All I can say is that shareware rules. Forget budget publishers they just are not worth it anymore. Dunno if this post will get deleted, I hope not as I am not (nor will I) naming names). But watch out for the sharks kids... and anyone who wants to be on my links page (shareware/demo games pls) just let me know http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
Not sure if it would be taboo or not, but it might be a service to everyone else if you could name the publisher who behaved in such an unprofessional manner. I''m sure nobody else would want to deal with them under such circumstances and perhaps the publisher would rethink such a lack of professionalism if they knew it was public knowledge.

By the same token, sometimes it would just be inappropriate to speak of dealings with publishers when they go sour (as some people certainly cannot remain objective).

I still have faith that publishers can work, but this proves again that a developer must be VERY careful in selecting the publisher. Always get references from the publisher so you can ask others about their dealings with that publisher.

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
> Basically the publisher swears at me, criticises my behaviour, > tells me I have broken the law by signing a deal with someone > else, and then physically threatens me!

publishers that physically threaten you is pretty unprofessional.
this is why i skydive and go to the gun range.

advise:

join the Association of Shareware Professionals(been around since
the ''80s....) http://www.asp-shareware.org/
they have many services and providers available there for marketing, distribution, etc that are members......
(eg. esellerate, digibuy, sharewarepromotions, etc...)

> By the same token, sometimes it would just be inappropriate to > speak of dealings with publishers when they go sour (as some
> people certainly cannot remain objective).
the objective thing to do is to stay away from
rinky dinks under the age of 25.

it''s obvious from many previous complaints that there''s little
concern for "true" independents in the game industry.
many of you need to realize that you have to "do it yourself"
and align with others who are of like mindedness.

and to the sell-out developers out there....when i go to compusa,
bestbuy, or whereever....i''ll never buy your $40-50 dollar games,
so your 80hour weeks spent drinking coke, slaving over the
"next great" 3D game, while quoting dilbert and southpark
is all for naught.

the trials and tribulation of the game scene are the same as
any other industry.......
indie developers need to get smart.

--
GLIPS Entertainment, Inc.
DEMOS.GAMES.ENTERTAINMENT.tm
http://www.glipsent.com/
- My Crappy Software -

StarSpangled Solitaire
-
StarSpangled Screen Saver
My sympathies are with you Cliff. I would not take any of you-know-who''s threats seriously. Clearly the last act of a desparate man.

I do find it shocking though that you are discouraged from using budget publishers. I regret this very much as it shows there is one who spoils it for many

Take care,

Alex
Unfortunately there are far too many people and companies around like the one Cliff describes, not just within the games industry. I would simply say to ignore these companies and let them get on with it. We can only hope the old saying is true, "What goes around comes around". Failing that we could always have a version of the American Guardian Angels for game developers. Organise a group of elite assasins and go stick a rocket up the backside of anyone who screws over a small developer.. mind you, we would probably end up with no publishers left, heh.

In this industry too many people are only interested in the fast buck, nobody seems to be able to see past their first slice of profit. People seem to think making a quick few quid now is good enough, even if in the long run by doing the right thing they could make a few thousand later on.

At the end of the day the only protection we developers have is contractual and editorial. Contractual protection seems not to bother the bigger companies as they can throw enough money at the situation to crush a small developer.The editorial protection can be more damaging if done correctly, but even then if they throw enough money at it, it may not work.

I think the initial solution for small developers may be shareware as Cliff suggests, but on bigger budget titles MOST new developers need the publishers money, even for budget games. So if you dance with the devil, be prepared to lose your soul, house, car and clothes off your back.

Go into any deal eyes wide open, expect the worst and if things work out its all a bonus.

Names, Cliff?
Sqeek.
The publisher in question has calmed down and emailed me since then so it looks like things will work out.
Not much fun, but hey, it just goes to show that you need to be wary of these things.
The only name I tend to mention is RealGames because they seem to be very good publishers, I am not one to publically criticise people I have an ongoing deal with.

http://www.positech.co.uk
do you have the web address of RealGames? I would like to check them out.
Creative Mind, Creative Design
I don''t know why anyone would bother with budget publishers. If they aren''t willing to fund your game in any way why would you give them a slice of the profits?
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
I am out of the game business. Because it's a joke.

I think he means [censored].
[censored] is indeed a bad publisher, but which one isn't.
Most publishers big or small are pushing independed developers.
The internet isn't by the way a solution for us.
But again I quit the business so ...

Even if I got enough money to fund my projects...I doubt to work
faithfull with a publisher as partner. They don't need you, they got enough submissions of various genres. And if you don't agree with there royalty rate, etc. they simply cancel. Or you don't even get a reply.

Publishers are animals.

Edited by - DavidRM on November 3, 2001 1:03:10 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement