Player Control what do you think?

Started by
2 comments, last by Xero-X2 22 years, 5 months ago
In a 3rd person game what kind of control would you like most, mouse control - Tile clicking, Rotateing when move mouse, view with mouse, anything else that is not listed. keyboard contol - full movement, actions, anything else not listed. please voice your thoughts.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Xero-X2
mouse control - Tile clicking, Rotateing when move mouse, view with mouse, anything else that is not listed.

Yes, yes, yes, yes.
quote:
keyboard contol - full movement, actions, anything else not listed.

Yes, yes, yes.

Firstly, if the engine supports it, I think every 3rd person should be able to go 1st person. Best of all would be the ability to switch between the two. In 1st person, it''s usually easier to target enemies, which is good for shoot-''em-up-style areas. In 3rd person, it''s usually easier to get the idea of where you are, which is good for platform-style areas.

I''m not sure what you mean by ''tile clicking''. What happens once you''ve clicked on a tile? This is very game-dependant, so you might want to clarify what your game''s about first.

In Homeworld you can move the viewpoint with the mouse. Homeworld''s control system is nice, although if your action is ''fast and furious'', it may be a little too slow.

IMO, the best 3rd person control system ever was in Heretic II. Easy to use, easy to customize, and lots of handy actions, like rolling, vaulting (using a staff), the whole ''clambering onto high ledges'' thing. I recomend you check it out if you haven''t done so already.

Signatures? We don''t need no steenking signatures!
CoV
I believe in fully, absolutely, totally customizable controls and support for every type of device, no matter how seemingly inappropriate. My design is to maintain a table of control-action maps (all of which are not intended to be used simultaneously, and which may also be set to "off" or "auto"). That way, the user can tailor the controls to his/her preference, rather than mine.
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
I believe in fully, absolutely, totally customizable controls and support for every type of device, no matter how seemingly inappropriate. My design is to maintain a table of control-action maps (all of which are not intended to be used simultaneously, and which may also be set to "off" or "auto"). That way, the user can tailor the controls to his/her preference, rather than mine.

I already wrote a game engine where you hit "Page Feed" on the printer to cast a fireball spell.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement