a better computer

Started by
17 comments, last by Gavin Williams 10 years ago

The electromagnetic force (along with the gravitational force, not sure about the other two forces but since they are so close range I guess it doesn't matter) still propagates at the speed of light, so you're still going to get some amount of latency. Just because there's no physical connection between point A and point B doesn't mean you'll be able to instantaneously transmit information between them, even if they are very close in space.

And, no, that's not how quantum computers work.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement

does a computer that work in this way has a name?

Analog.

Results are arrived at analogically, rather than analytically. They tend to be purpose-built rather than programmable, because it is much harder to abstract a program analogous (Greek, ana-logos, re-reasoned, implying finding another way to do the same thing) to a general task than it is to construct a program through analysis (Greek, ana-lysis, re-loosened, implying breaking a problem down into its fundamental steps and building up the solution from there) and emulate it mathematically through numbers (numbers == digits == digital, from the Latin word for fingers, the things we count on).

Anyway, that's the word for a computer that would work that way.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

The electromagnetic force (along with the gravitational force, not sure about the other two forces but since they are so close range I guess it doesn't matter) still propagates at the speed of light, so you're still going to get some amount of latency. Just because there's no physical connection between point A and point B doesn't mean you'll be able to instantaneously transmit information between them, even if they are very close in space.

And, no, that's not how quantum computers work.

But what if we warp and compress the space between those two points, so that they are infinitesimally close

So the brain is pretty good at thinking because it has a lot of connections between neurons

the limitation is the number of connections, the more the better

when building a computer, is there a way of making one that doesn't has this limit of a physical "cable" connection between two places?

instead of using "cables" it will use the electromagnetic force, so problems like simulating the gravitational force between particles will be solved in O(1)

does a computer that work in this way has a name?

so, something like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_computing your still limited to the speed of light, but with a point-point system inside a cpu, you'd likely be able to use a massive range of the electromagnetic spectrum for a large bandwidth lane to work with.

there are still many paradigms for computer architecture to explore. electron spin gates to get rid of heating issues, 3D cpu's, rather than 2D layouts we use now, there's just alot to be explored to make better cpu's. the main problem is that to explore any of these new technology's, it'll likely require an entire new fabrication plant to build cpu's that vary so widely from modern processors today.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Just because there's no physical connection between point A and point B doesn't mean you'll be able to instantaneously transmit information between them, even if they are very close in space.

I'm certainly not fluent in the field of theoretical physics, but isn't Quantum Entanglement an area of heavy research by the Scientific Community in hope that it will yield FTL transmission of states for computing and communication?

It's all theoretical, of course, but it's still very interesting.

Information cannot travel faster than light.

I believe quantum entanglement is studied more for its applications in secure communication since observing the quantum thingies isnt possible by an outsider without the communicating parties noticing.

o3o

I believe quantum entanglement is studied more for its applications in secure communication since observing the quantum thingies isnt possible by an outsider without the communicating parties noticing.

Information may be restricted to the speed of light, but quantum entanglement works on the action/immediate reaction of entangled particles. This "spooky action at a distance" does indeed happen faster then the speed of light, and the state changes are instantaneous - the problem is the amount of data able to be sent between a entangled pair is disgustingly small compared to the infrastructure you'd need to detect any changes in the atoms state at all.

My favorite error yet:

Parse error: Syntax error, unexpected '$pants'...

Information may be restricted to the speed of light, but quantum entanglement works on the action/immediate reaction of entangled particles. This "spooky action at a distance" does indeed happen faster then the speed of light, and the state changes are instantaneous - the problem is the amount of data able to be sent between a entangled pair is disgustingly small compared to the infrastructure you'd need to detect any changes in the atoms state at all.

AFAIK quantum entanglement is essentially writing a randomly generated message to two pieces of paper, sending the paper pieces far from each other and then opening them to be amazed that they contain the same message and thus faster than light.

o3o

AFAIK quantum entanglement is essentially writing a randomly generated message to two pieces of paper, sending the paper pieces far from each other and then opening them to be amazed that they contain the same message and thus faster than light.

that's seriously undercutting how quantum entanglement works.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I don't think any quantum effect provides faster than light communication or transport. There have been examples of apparent faster than light, but it turns out to be trickery or incorrect observation and conclusion.

Anyway, the quantum computing that I am aware of, and I have had a friend in the past studying quantum computing at University in Sydney, is not based on these theoretical experiments so much. But rather, the main avenue of study is on much more grounded and practical solutions using quantum effects, atomic and molecular computing. With application in data storage, novel memory applications, parallel processing etc. And when quantum computing arrives, it probably wont come as a telepathic device that changes the world of computing. It will look very familiar to you, it will come as a chip that you plug into your motherboard or some-kind of peripheral device that will provide powerful computation in certain kinds of problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement