Operating systems programming

Started by
21 comments, last by Phillk6751 22 years, 5 months ago
Hey...thatnks for all the help...I have found a lot of information from your help.

I am currently in the process of learning how to use header files and having some fun.

I love linux! I''m using KDevelop and NASM or MASM(whichever comes with mandrake 8.0), so i guess all my programming software is FREEWARE(Well, under GNU).

I was also wondering if my os has to be in C or if i can use the latest C++ or maybee even C# in most of it?

"Microsoft is evil," I said so.
Advertisement
And also to my belief....I believe Microsoft has some OS creation tools...Is that correct and are they fairly easy to use?....I read something about it on MSDN site but didn''t get any info on it.
quote:Original post by Phillk6751
I love linux! I''m using KDevelop and NASM or MASM(whichever comes with mandrake 8.0)

MASM is a Microsoft product; that would probably be GAS unless you installed NASM as well.

quote:...so i guess all my programming software is FREEWARE(Well, under GNU).

Don''t let the FSF/GNU dude catch you calling their software freeware. There is a conceptual/philosophical distinction in terms of how you can use freeware and Free Software/Open Source Software. You can read more here, here and here.

quote:I was also wondering if my os has to be in C or if i can use the latest C++ or maybee even C# in most of it?

"Microsoft is evil," I said so.

Well, Microsoft also makes C# so I guess that rules it out for you, being the "rabid anti-MS zealot you are..."

Using C++ for an OS is entirely possible, but still not very popular. The next revision of the C++ standard is intended to address that. However, I think AtheOS was written in C++ (I may be wrong), so give it a looksee.

I wanna work for Microsoft!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement