Age of Asteroids

Started by
11 comments, last by reiti.net 10 years ago

Age of Asteroids

A Sci-Fi Space RTS Game by reiti.net

preview_narrow.jpg

Age of Asteroids plays in a not too distant future, after humans has started to colonized the moon and planet mars. In the need of a vast amount of resources the inner asteroid belt has been discovered as a reasonable source. Your mission is to aquire control over as much asteroids as possible, building up remote asteroid colonies and defend yourself against different threats with the help of space fighters, tactical missiles and much more.

screenday.jpg screenday2.jpg screenday3.jpg 0.2.jpg

Key Features:

• Real Time Space Strategy
  • Asteroid Colonization / Mining
  • Space Ships
  • Space Trading
  • Fully simulated Unit Behaviour
  • Procedural generated and dynamic environment

Age of Asteroids is currently in ALPHA. That means, that many features are not fully implemented yet. But actually I want to make a game for the players, so I want to involve players as soon as possible in the development process, showing them different ingame videos, describing features and let them know what's currently going on. I plan to release a public Alpha-Version as soon as the game has enough "beef" for actually being enjoyable. I would invite you to have a look at the various links I've provided at the bottom, where you will find latest info and media. If you like the idea of the game, I would love to have your greenlight vote or your general support by showing it to your friends.

I would also like to invite everyone to give feedback, tell their wishes, expectations and also critics about the game so I may be able to make the game even more in the flavour of actual players.

Platform: PC

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ageofasteroids

IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdTEzq11OycnsKZ_vnPYDh7NutSBZRVLz

Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242560180

Developer of: Age of Asteroids - A Space RTS / Simulation

Advertisement

In the following video, I am showing some gameplay elements. In this video the main content is about general controls/interface, asteroid colonies and different controlling options and I am talking a little bit about the game itself.

This looks fun, and it's a great idea, definitely worth trying.

Once upon a time, there was a game on Amiga called K240 (which was the sequel to "Utopia"), which covered this subject also - this was one of my favorite games and so the idea itself is not exactly new. There was also a sequel of K240 called Fragile Allegiance (I never played that)

I want to bring that idea to the next level, in 3D and with more respect on an actual possible future (therefore without aliens). For that I do a lot of thinking about how things could work in the real world and try to bring that into a game more or less.

Let's see what the outcome of all that will be :-)

In this video you see more about how to inspect new asteroids, probing the groud to get knowledge of the resources. Also you got a little preview of tactical missiles. Those are used to engage enemy asteroids from the distance.

All you see in the video has already been improved, models were improved, textures as well, animations of the missiles were added - in the video you'll see just a functional preview of that, so stay tuned for any follow up videos showing that all a bit more shiny :-)

The last days I've worked to improve many different things in terms of game mechanics and also some optical things, like all the animations for the rocket pods. Also a new ship is finally added, the Scout Ship! Watch the video, to see all of this in action:

I am currently preparing a more or less playable demo of the game. There will be many features disabled at some point, but therefore it will be a free4all demo. Main purpose of it is to let players acutally experience something of the actual game and also should be of some help for me as well in terms of findind any problems with the game itself for example, how is performance will it run everywhere smoothly and such things.

I will keep you informed about any progress but it's already pretty finished for a pre-alpha/tech demo. It will feature something like an interactive tutorial I've just plumbed together, so everyone gets a bit of information on how to actually control the game. Many buttons will be deactivated, so you will not be able to build any ships, missiles or settle new asteroids - it is still a free4all DEMO, which will be followed by an unrestricted alpha release (unrestricted in terms of ready features).

A Little Tech Demo is now available! Because it is public, it is pretty limited on some features, but you should get a good feeling about the game and see it first hand - it's a little goodie, before thre real alpha version is ready.

You can download the demo here:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/age-of-asteroids/downloads/pre-alpha-tech-demo

In the archive is an installer, which should care for everything else. Once in game you can play around with the controls. You cannot build any ships/missiles and you cannot settle any asteroids. But you have 4 ships in orbit you can control and also some missiles to your deposal.

Hope you like the tech demo! Any feedback highly appreciated!

There was a bug in the techdemo fixed, which caused invisible models on some computers :-)

In the meanwhile a lot was added to the actual game, like more user interface enhancements and one of the more difficult things: the trading system. ending goods back to earth (in exchange for money) is happening with space trails, which carry large amounts of cargo boxes.

There is a bit of UI involved to make that loading possible. Stay tuned, I will post a video about that in particular.

Other things just added, where the long distance space trails, larger sectors and much more.

The latest video added (Gameplay Video 04) is acutally about the trading system - like "How to generate money in the game" and also shows a lot of new elements, even when they are not mentioned directly in the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement