Possible Careers in Game Writing

Started by
2 comments, last by Jonathon 22 years, 5 months ago
I love computer games, and I have become interested in helping to create them. I''ve had some writing experience, including a couple of articles for Gamedev, and some editorials in my campus newspaper. I would love to combine my love for writing with my love for computer games. But I''m not really familiar with the various career fields within the area of game writing. Obviously, some people write game reviews. Others write the documentation/manuals for games. I expect that some people write the scripts for games. And of course, designers and programmers write design and technical documents. But are there other areas of game writing? What are some of the possible career paths? If anyone could give me ideas, I would be very happy. Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush
Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
Advertisement
If your not to far into your major, which I assume is something writing or jounalistic related, I''d recommend taking a few Computer Science courses. These can be low level of course, for example, learning simple concepts through Java. Also, take something in your school''s acting department. You don''t neccessarily have to act, but you should learn so dialogue techniques. These two things should help you decide how to futher develop your studies. As for careers in the game industry, you''ve probably already enumerated them. However, don''t limit yourself. The game industry has a lack of sophistication when it comes to the english language, so you may figure out something that''ll make you a fortune. For example, I haven''t heard of contracters totaly dedicated to connecting a development house to a publisher yet. I mean, we call them producers technically, but producers tend to stay with the project for the duration and are responsible for it''s everything.

:: Inmate2993
"Please refrain from bothering Booster."

[Edited by - Inmate2993 on October 2, 2006 12:08:17 AM]
william bubel
While we''re recommending courses, I want to say: Take a psychology course and a sociology course! Comparative literature and mythology are good too. And it really really helps if you can draw at all, because then you can communicate how you want your characters and settings to look.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Excellent suggestions, folks. Thank you. I'm actually enrolled in a Computer Science curriculum, and I'm also becoming more and more interested in writing. I'm glad I asked, because I hadn't even thought of acting, sociology or psychology courses. But that certainly sounds like a good idea. And I will certainly keep my eyes open for possible new careers in the game field.

Inmate 2993, I see you just joined recently. Welcome to Gamedev!

Jonathon
quote:"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

Edited by - Jonathon on November 2, 2001 10:00:35 AM
Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement