how to write documentation

Started by
1 comment, last by Ravyne 10 years ago

hi. im trying to write my new game documentation but in last ones i wrote it there was a lot of problem and i think i didnt do it in a standard way. as you may say there are a lots of ways to do that but i think there is some rules and standards to do that for example how to write the story that some parts are game play and some parts cutscences and writing gameplay design and relate it to other parts like story. can anyone help me to learn it better and give mea good compelete source? thank you for helping and excuse me for my weak english

Advertisement

You're asking about how to write a game design document? Read these:

http://sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson13.htm

And you want to see sample game designs -- there are links at the bottoms of the first article above.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You're talking about design documentation, correct? GDDs and TDDs, not user-facing documentation or code comments?

Look to screenplays and scripts for inspiration on how to handle cut-scenes or dialog. If you have interactive dialog (e.g. dialog trees a'la Fallout or other RPGs), you can combine this screenplay-style notation with flow-charts.

Other than that, I don't think there's any formal guidelines or standard format for writing GDDs and the like -- however, there are numerous articles on the topic, both for containing suggestions around organization and content. The only stand-alone tips I can offer is to not combine game design documentation together with technical design documentation--or, TDD-- (these should be separate documents), and also don't try to be overly prescriptive in either -- for example, your TDD shouldn't try to predict what classes or interfaces will be needed, but should describe what code systems there are, their responsibilities and non-responsibilities, and how they might fit together. The purpose of either document is to define your goals in concrete form, and to lay the very foundation -- its not to predict the in-between in every detail.

One place you could look for inspiration would be an edition of the Dungeons and Dragons book -- even if you're not designing anything like an RPG, you could still adapt what you find inside to your game; particularly the way that races and characters are described, items and their properties are enumerated, and the gameplay rules are described. You can probably find a cheap copy of an older edition in any used book store/game store; they rules have changed over the years, but that doesn't matter for your purposes.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement