Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Begining Game Programming

This topic is 5883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wanting to ask which book i should get for starting game programming. I have 2 Programming books, "C For Dummies" and "Sams Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" and i was wondering what books should i get now which are directed at programming to make games. So if anyone here could suggest a very good book to get next i woud be very grateful . I was thinking of getting Open GL game programming but before i spent 40 quid i thought i''d check other people''s suggestions first Thanks Jim

I am hearing lots of people mention a book "Sercets of the game coders" or something (I cant remember the exact title). Sounds really good. If you got a fairly good grip on C/C++ I dont think you actually need any books, just visit some of the DirectX/OpenGL tutorial sites, thats all I used.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, was the book u were referring to called "Tricks of the windows game programming gurus" ?.

And for the tutorials did you get most of the articles/tutorials on from this website or from other sites?

Jim

Hi.

I have 6 books on C++, DirectX and game programming.

I think you should buy "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus". This book covers a lot. Most of the code is in C but some C++. It is over 1000 pages covering the fundamentals of 2D and 3D game programming.

It takes you through the windows specifics and once you understand that on to DirectX. I have programmed for some time and bought 20+ programming books the last year.

Trust me, this is a winner.

And an even better book to learn C++ is "The Complete Reference of C++" third edition. It covers the subset of C++ = C and explains the differences. It even tells you what is efficient and why.

So if you want to improve your C and C++ knowledge, this book is for you.

Hope this convinced you.

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days is an excellent reference. If you know all of the information in this book you probably know all you will need to know for game programming. After that move on to the basics of the Win32 API and then start learning something like OpenGL or DirectX.

Or after you are done with the language itself practice with text games. Don''t hurry through learning the language. If the first time you are putting a language topic in practice is a game you probably will make lots of mistakes. Make sure you know a lot about the langauge first. It may seem like you''re moving too slow but it will help you speed up later by not having to always look back.