• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Leow Jun Jie Donald

How to make a Game Engine For Super Beginners?

This topic is 2014 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

I understand that there are already quite a few threads out there, but it seems that most of them are about the pros and cons of certain stuff in the game engine, or either that it's just a bunch of theories here and there. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough or either that I'm just really noob to not catch certain stuff mentioned.

So getting to the main point, my questions are what does a game engine really need? How to structure the engine in a industry-standard structure? (I'm still a student, but I'm going to graduate soon...) And last but not least, how do we make a game using this engine in question?

It depends on the situation, some might say, so I shall narrow down the question here. Let's say we're making a 2D RPG game engine that uses C++ and OpenGL as its programming languages.

From I have understood so far, a game engine is a program where a programmer does his magic on to create the game, and contains functions that instantly creates basic game mechanics that is needed in a game.

Can anyone change or add on to the sentence, and perhaps answer my the three questions as stated?

With regards,

Donald Leow

( P.S. Sorry if I sound weird or arrogant, as some have told me. I tend to sound like this when I try to ask questions...I apologize for my inability to ask questions in a normal way. )

Edited by donaldleow

Advertisement

Well for a start if it's for 2D games, I wouldn't use OpenGL directly. I'd rather something like SDL2 which will take care of all the OpenGL stuff for you as well as giving you lots of great features like input checking.

The question is:

Do you want to make games?

or

Do you want to make a game engine?

^This.

You used the example of a 2D RPG. The stuff that most people would think of as being done by the 'game engine' (graphics, rendering, collision detection) is the LEAST part of a good RPG. You've got to write a plot with quests, sidequests, and dialogs. You need music - background sounds, background music, battle music, character themes. You need to create the characters, their backstory's, their character arcs. And you build the world, with all it's lore, history, npc's, and then create the maps for every town, building, and outhouse in that world. Before you can code the mechanics like the combat system or character classes you have to create all those concepts and work them out on paper so the game will be reasonably balanced: you'll tweak it as you go, but the basic concepts have to be sound.

You can spend all your time working on the engine, or you can spend your time working on all (or even some) of that other stuff.

Try to do everything and you'll end up accomplishing nothing.

The question is:

Do you want to make games?

or

Do you want to make a game engine?

^This.

You used the example of a 2D RPG. The stuff that most people would think of as being done by the 'game engine' (graphics, rendering, collision detection) is the LEAST part of a good RPG. You've got to write a plot with quests, sidequests, and dialogs. You need music - background sounds, background music, battle music, character themes. You need to create the characters, their backstory's, their character arcs. And you build the world, with all it's lore, history, npc's, and then create the maps for every town, building, and outhouse in that world. Before you can code the mechanics like the combat system or character classes you have to create all those concepts and work them out on paper so the game will be reasonably balanced: you'll tweak it as you go, but the basic concepts have to be sound.

You can spend all your time working on the engine, or you can spend your time working on all (or even some) of that other stuff.

Try to do everything and you'll end up accomplishing nothing.

Yup, I agree, you have to decide what it is about making an RPG that you want to concentrate on making, and what stuff you don't find interesting.  If you want to make an RPG with a unique engine/look, or whatever, and don't really have this giant urge to put the story in your head into a game, then perhaps an engine is the way to go.

Also, as an aside, just because you don't decide to make your own engine on your first project, doesn't mean you can't make your own engine later.  One can get a pretty good understanding of what it takes to make a good engine after having used one.  Or you get annoyed enough by the limitations of the one you're using, and decide to make one that avoids the problems =)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!