• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problem with multyple function with same name but different parameters and i get errors

This topic is 1387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.

AFAIK this should work:

If you know why i am getting this, please help!

//HPP
void AddSpecialEffect(int posX, int posY, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID);
void AddSpecialEffect(int UnitVecID, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID);

//CPP
void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int PosX, int PosY, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID = 0)
{

}
void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int UnitVecID, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID = 0)
{

}

The compiler error

1>main.cpp(109): error C2664: 'void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int,SpecialEffect &,int *)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'int' to 'SpecialEffect &'
1>main.cpp(110): error C2664: 'void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int,SpecialEffect &,int *)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'int' to 'SpecialEffect &'
1>main.cpp(111): error C2664: 'void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int,SpecialEffect &,int *)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'int' to 'SpecialEffect &'
1>main.cpp(112): error C2664: 'void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int,SpecialEffect &,int *)' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'int' to 'SpecialEffect &'
1>main.cpp(114): error C2661: 'SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect' : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments
Edited by BaneTrapper

Advertisement

Write the default value into the declaration, not into the definition:

I'm curious as to why this would be a fix. I thought putting the default in either the declaration or the definition was allowed (but not both) -- although I do put my defaults in the declaration as well, as I find it more user friendly.

Stack Overflow seems to also agree with both being valid: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4989483/where-to-put-default-parameter-value-in-c

What's the calling code in main, line 109?

Do note i may switch these up and down was testing, apparently adding adding last parameter "NULL" makes the thing work!

objSpecialEffectHolder.AddSpecialEffect(0, SpecialEffect(en::SEL2, 5, 4, 100, sf::Color(255,255,255,255)), NULL);

This is the main call

objSpecialEffectHolder.AddSpecialEffect(0, SpecialEffect(en::SEL2, 5, 4, 100, sf::Color(255,255,255,255)));
    objSpecialEffectHolder.AddSpecialEffect(10, 10, SpecialEffect(en::SEL1, 1, 3, 500, sf::Color(255,255,255,255)));
    objSpecialEffectHolder.AddSpecialEffect(100, 100, SpecialEffect(en::SEL1, 1, 3, 422, sf::Color(255,255,255,255)));
    objSpecialEffectHolder.AddSpecialEffect(99, 290, SpecialEffect(en::SEL1, 0, 4, 500, sf::Color(255,255,255,255)));
    objSpecialEffectHolder.AddSpecialEffect(21, 57, SpecialEffect(en::SEL1, 0, 4, 266, sf::Color(255,255,255,255)));

Write the default value into the declaration, not into the definition:

//HPP
void AddSpecialEffect(int posX, int posY, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID = 0);
void AddSpecialEffect(int UnitVecID, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID = 0);

//CPP
void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int PosX, int PosY, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID)
{

}
void SpecialEffectHolder::AddSpecialEffect(int UnitVecID, SpecialEffect & specialEffect, int * SpecialEffectVecID)
{

}

This also fixes it, sad.png so much of my code has potential to break, default parameter in declaration.

thanks on information all!

Edited by BaneTrapper

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement