• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fgarcia

Looking for Feedback regarding a Game Engine For Accessible Games

This topic is 1872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to apologize if I posted this onto the wrong board.
After reading the pinned post, I do not think this post is appropriate for the Classifieds section.

I also apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling errors, as English is not my mother tongue.

Context and Invitation

Thank you for your time and interest on visiting this topic.
My name is Franco and I would like to invite you evaluate and provide your analysis and opinion regarding a research project.

My research project proposes different of approaches to help on the development of accessible games.
We are targeting Universally-Accessible Games* (UA-Games), games that aim to enable as many users as possible to play.
For instance, an UA-Game might provide different game presentations and interactions to suit the game to average, visually and motor impaired users. Due to differences of interactions needs, it is important to keep in mind we are considering simple games, such as Pong, Snake and Space Invaders.

To illustrate the combination of approaches, I have develop a reference game engine (UGE). It is an open source project, available at <https://github.com/francogarcia/uge>.
UGE does not focus on performance or stunning graphical presentation; rather, it focus on run-time flexibility to enable more people to play.
It uses data and event-driven architectures, combined with entity-component systems and configurable player profiles to allow the game interaction to be adapted during run-time.

For a quick, illustrated description of UGE approach, please refer to UGE in a Nutshell at (PowerPointPDF).

We are currently looking for developers to evaluate the game engine and, especially, its approaches and run-time tailoring. We believe feedback can help to improve UGE and, in the future, to enable more people to play. The evaluation is anonymous; if you have experience with any of the approaches, it should not take long.

Should you wish to participate, we kindly ask you to access <https://github.com/francogarcia/uge-evaluation> for more information.

My contact email is available in the evaluation invitation, should you have any question or comment.
It is also possible to ask me here.

Once again, thank you for your time and interest.
Franco

General Information

To increase the implementation flexibility and run-time tailoring, the game logic has an input-output (IO) free implementation.
As such, there are no references to specific IO interactions, which allows the developers to customize the IO according to the player’s interaction needs.

It is possible to define this customization during-time. It is not like a game mod – it is much more flexible: it is possible to completely modify the game outputs and inputs for different game profiles without modifying the game logic. For instance, a profile might explore audio and graphics using components. Another profile may use audio only components define the game output, using different events to describe the game and its world to the player. A third profile might be graphics only and change audio stimuli by visual stimuli.

In the same way, exploring input mapping techniques and events it is possible to provide input with different devices without changing the game logic implementation. It is also possible to automate certain game commands to help elder or motor-impaired users to play.

Documentation and References for Developers

Although the documentation (DOCX) is currently incomplete, it is extensive at the moment and describes most of the main functionalities and approaches required to implement an UA-Game using the engine. The tutorial’s section provides a step-by-step implementation to create a prototype of an UA-Space for different profiles, such as average user, visually impaired user and motor impaired user.

(I could not provide a link to the PDF version due to address' apostrophe - here is the URL: <https://github.com/francogarcia/uge-evaluation/raw/master/Support%20Material/UGE%20-%20Developer's%20Reference%20-%20Documentation.pdf>)

Demo

The engine’s repository code comes with the tutorial game implementation. To switch between different profiles, it is only necessary to swap an uncommented profile in:

"game/SpaceshipGame/data/config/player_profiles/active_profile.xml"

It is important to note that the prototype is not complete nor accessible at the moment. It is a proof of concept to illustrate the applicability of the approaches. With a few iterations and user evaluation, it can become an accessible game for its profiles.

Notes

*Contrarily to the Universal in the name, an UA-Game is not, necessarily, accessible to everyone. In fact, considering the differences of interaction abilities and user’s disabilities, creating a truly universal game is impossible. Instead, it is better to consider the Universal as meaning as many as possible.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!