• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NxLeaf

Does any one use mono c# to develop game server?

This topic is 2021 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

recently,I meet a toolkit named 'monodevelop',by witch we can write application in c# and setup on several platforms(MAC OSX,MS WINDOWS,LINUX ETC)

I also use unity3d(choose c# as script) to develop my game client. and use c# to develop the tools needed in game development.

so,i really want to know if I can use C#(with mono) to develop my game server.

one of my friends suggested me to C++,JAVA or golang.

is there anyone can talk something about this? is there lag and bottleneck if i choose mono c#, thanks?

Edited by render donkey

Advertisement

Why do you think there should be a problem? Mono C# isn't some kind of thing that comes specifically with Unity, it's a full-fledged implementation of the C# language. It can do the same things as C++, Java, or Golang, it doesn't have any particular predisposition or weakness to writing servers or game servers for that matter. Therefore you can write a game server with it just as well as with C++, Java, or Go. Therefore, without any additional information, the answer to your question is yes. Perhaps you would like to be more specific?

Why do you think there should be a problem? Mono C# isn't some kind of thing that comes specifically with Unity, it's a full-fledged implementation of the C# language. It can do the same things as C++, Java, or Golang, it doesn't have any particular predisposition or weakness to writing servers or game servers for that matter. Therefore you can write a game server with it just as well as with C++, Java, or Go. Therefore, without any additional information, the answer to your question is yes. Perhaps you would like to be more specific?

thanks.

i know things as you metioned.

but someone told me i might meet something difficult to deal with.

i'm not sure what's waiting for me.

i'd like to have a try.

thanks again.

Networking can refer to the programs on either end of the wire, or it can refer to the stuff that goes across the wire.

Once you figure out what you are transmitting across the wire it does not matter what the program is, nor does it matter what language the program is written in. All that matters is the signal that goes across the wire is the correct, expected data.

Today you might have a server written in C++. You might decide to swap it out for a server that uses C#, or maybe instead something that uses Python, or maybe you want to build a custom Apache Web Server module that handles the connection for you. All that matters is that the programs follow the protocol of what is expected.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!