Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shoot them up

This topic is 5890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What''s the best way to make enemies appear in a shoot-them-up ? I''ve tried to use random apparition but the result is not convincing. I want the enemies to appear like in R-Type, that is with some "cohesion". Any advices ? Thanks a lot.

R-type didn''t have much randomness. The enemies always came from the same spot (mostly anyway). What are your enemies like? Do they fly in patterns? Follow the player? Walk on the ground. If they''re flying in a pattern, I''d randomly choose the starting point for a squad, within certain parameters. IE, not too close to the ground or ceiling. If you have an equation for their fleight path, x=t^2, y=-t*3, just have each guy have a slightly different t value. If t goes from -10 to positive 10, the enemies would fly onto the screen from behind then loop around and leave again. If simple equations get boring, you can add other equations to the the path. A small sin wave for instance would cause the ship to flutter up and down in it''s fleight path. If that''s not what you wanted to know, give me more details.