A Collaborative Free and Open-Source OS?

Started by
115 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years ago

So you want to destroy the world??

No!!! The tech does not the "kill'em all weapons" or super arrow/shield thingies.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

So you want to destroy the world??

No!!! The tech does not the "kill'em all weapons" or super arrow/shield thingies.

My point was that in Avengers 2, its heavily implied that Tony is creating Ultron (not Hank) and the fact that Jarvis is also getting a body sort of, seems to imply it will go evil.

Sci-fi writers have dreamt of and described systems and machines like JARVIS or HAL or what-have-you, they haven't built them yet smile.png

We are getting closer, MS' Cortana has taken some good steps forward in vocal recognition and human interaction - still someway off a full blown AI but getting closer.

Of course what people like Nathan2222 seem to skip over is that even developing something like Cortana, which is a forerunner to stuff like that, has taken millions, if not billions, of dollars and many many years to do - one kid sitting in a bedroom dreaming on a forum is never going to be able to do it on their own.

Apple hit it bigger than Windows? Not last time I checked on Mac market share :) On mobile compared to Windows Phone, yes, but then Android (and Symbian before) hit it much bigger than IOS. Android and Windows are the ones to beat today on mobile and PCs.

Personally I find Android user friendly as anything else with a touchscreen. But I'd be wary of equating success with user-friendliness (consider, if you think Android isn't user friendly, then how do you account for its massive dominance?) Whilst Linux distributions have had problems with user friendliness for years, I don't think that's the stumbling block to mainstream usage. The problem is one of marketing and distribution - no advertising, hardly any computers shipping with Linux, it's not going to be used by anyone but geeks.

Though possibly I'm misreading you, and by "beat" etc, you mean make something which is the best. In which case, fine, though another problem is that there's lots of disagreement about what is the best, and what makes something good (e.g., all of us buying Windows PCs or Android devices, while you think Apple are the best:)).

What you describe is what people are already doing with Linux distributions. It's also what companies are doing with Android (whether the customisations by Samsung, HTC etc, or the usage of AOSP by Nokia, Ouya, Amazon).

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

We are getting closer, MS' Cortana has taken some good steps forward in vocal recognition and human interaction - still someway off a full blown AI but getting closer.

Sure, vocal recognition is a vital step towards that direction, but the question is, how much closer does that bring us to a truly intelligent digital assistant that can actually serve to, say, a researcher as a "subsitute" for a grad student, at least in some aspects. One you can instruct "research the biblography on X and write me a 12-page comparative synopsis on the matter I can read". Is that truly only "someway off", or like the saying goes, we are like the man who claims is making progress towards reaching the moon because he's climbed onto a tree?

Good idea? Bad Idea? Yeah, right?

In a perfect world, what you said makes perfect sense. There will come a time you no longer repair your car, just buy a new one.

While Joel on Software did say that code does not rust, you still have legacy code and old architecture. Like code to handle diskette, cga / ega graphic mode, etc.

So to start a brand new OS while salvaging whatever linux code that is useful would be a great idea. Wrapper code and built in compiler can help in this regard.

However, in this world, the biggest problem you would have is hardware support. Drivers. It was a problem for Linux for a long time because no hardware manufacture think its worth their time to write a linux driver. So if you plan to start a new OS from scratch, then you will have this problem.

So the next best thing is to reuse Linux for your purpose, like Valve did with SteamOS.

Sci-fi writers have dreamt of and described systems and machines like JARVIS or HAL or what-have-you, they haven't built them yet smile.png

Of course what people like Nathan2222 seem to skip over is that even developing something like Cortana, which is a forerunner to stuff like that, has taken millions, if not billions, of dollars and many many years to do - one kid sitting in a bedroom dreaming on a forum is never going to be able to do it on their own.

It's also taken thousands of people who are paid salaries and earn a living from this job to do that (which is where most of the billions comes in). I WILL still do it and the assumption of doing it alone is interesting.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

It's also taken thousands of people who are paid salaries and earn a living from this job to do that (which is where most of the billions comes in). I WILL still do it and the assumption of doing it alone is interesting.

Go for it.

You are both closer to it and further from it then you think.

Closer since there is lots of work done in the field already, which you are obviously not aware of, and which you should research, since it will cut down on development time a lot.

Further since the work needed is still in the magnitude of hundreds of a thousand man years.

Oh, and make sure to not dismiss the scores of people currently living already researching and working on it, it could be a good idea to consolidate your forces.

Now that I think about it, perhaps an OS with AI would be the best OS.

I used this software once that I can't find anyone called Cynthia 3.0. It was pretty much a chat bot whose image and animation you could change. You could teach it like:

"The sun is a big ball of burning gas in the sky."

This information would be saved to a text file.

Then you could type "what is a sun?"

And it would respond "The sun is a big ball of burning gas in the sky."

Creating a useful enough AI for such a system as seen in sic-fi movies doesn't seem far off with technology like this around, other than voice recognition files, and realistic text to speech recordings.

I myself am working on a pretty realistic AI system that started as a way to detect objects like we do in real life using senses.

I just picked up a new term called "fuzzy logic." That is what such a system as JARVIS would need to use.

To make such AI, You would need the most skilled people in every major science, medical, and artistic field (artistic if you want to make an iron man suit). And you'd need a good and simple yet effective plan.

Perhaps you'd need a cross of augmented reality and virtual reality to get sight right for iron man.

This topic has turned rather fantastic. Haha.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

What could be more efficient than the wheel? I could brainstorm..

Magnetized roads and cars (same charge to make it hover, and using a type of potentiometer to gradually change the strength of the magnet to land). And perhaps propelled by magnetism also? A tilted magnet in the back to propel it forward. Perhaps railing and dividers on the road to keep cars in their lane?

Or perhaps you can use friction force?

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement