A Collaborative Free and Open-Source OS?

Started by
115 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years ago

So it's not this one? http://jarvisos.webs.com/

That's not the one he linked to in a previous thread. Though the one he did link to seemed equally nebulous, and also looked linux based.

Advertisement

Note: i lack the knowledge of assembly and C coding so i still need to learn.

That has absolutly nothing to do with the question you asked. Problem is that you lack the most fundamental skills and concepts - apparently, ability to read and research, as aregee said:

I started to make a disassembler for 680x0 once

Also, his examples were based around Amiga PCs, as it was clearly mentioned in 1st sentence.

If you did a little Google search, you'd find out that 680x0 is another name for Motorola 68000 family of processors developed in 1980s and early 1990s, which had its own architecture which was competing with Intel's x86 architecture. Further reading would give you some insight into characteristics of the family.
Jeez. I thought it hexadecimal or assembly. I have no idea what amiga is but i do know motorola. So i will learn and you don't need to keep saying what i lack.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

It's not. They are building it from scratch, different from every OS.

So it's not this one? http://jarvisos.webs.com/
Because that one is SUSE Linux, and seems to be mostly vaporware, and not even including voice recognition (the easiest part of anything jarvis-like)
Are there more groups of young people making os:es they call "Jarvis"?
I don't know who that site belongs too and i know it's NOT linux.
Check these out:
1) http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2013/10/14/one-startup-strives-to-make-iron-mans-j-a-r-v-i-s-a-reality/
2) http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/technology-others/inspired-by-iron-man-indian-techies-work-on-a-whole-new-os-yes-it-is-called-jarvis/
They have a youtube channel and it's in version 0.2 (or 1.2)

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I don't know who that site belongs too and i know it's NOT linux.
Check these out:
1) http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2013/10/14/one-startup-strives-to-make-iron-mans-j-a-r-v-i-s-a-reality/
2) http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/technology-others/inspired-by-iron-man-indian-techies-work-on-a-whole-new-os-yes-it-is-called-jarvis/
They have a youtube channel and it's in version 0.2 (or 1.2)

Ah I see.

Yes, that video in the first link is obviously just an application running on Windows, and not an OS at all, in any shape or form. Just a nice demo to show off a UI paradigm they envision. It seems it is written in Visual Basic.

Why can't people just leave this kid alone?

Then these threads can at least have a chance to maintain some semblance of coherence.

Here is part of the code to detect instructions:

[BTST :111111001:0000100000xxxxxx00000000dddddddd]

(Assembly) code for which system architecture (linux, Windows, mac, myOS etc.)?

That is not assembly code. As I said, it was just part of my matching rules that you can script. BTST is the mnemonic for the instruction you want to match, the number sequence in the next block of colons are flags that defines processor support (86000, 86010, 86020, etc.), the last long string with numbers and letters is which bits to match for that instruction, x being bits for registers (etc.) and d being bits for values. I had plans to do much more, and when I pick up the project again, I will start focusing on the scripting part rather than the disassembler part first.

I would like to kindly point out that none of those you listed -- Windows, Linux, Mac, or myOS are "architectures." All of these are operating systems. Examples of architectures are ARM, Amtel, PowerPC( *cringes* ), x86, and x86-64 (Both AMD64 and Intel 64).Thus, you already lack the most fundamental concepts needed to build J.A.R.V.I.S

I never claimed those to be either. If you read my second paragraph, you will see a lot of mentions that has to do with architecture.

I would like to kindly point out that none of those you listed -- Windows, Linux, Mac, or myOS are "architectures." All of these are operating systems. Examples of architectures are ARM, Amtel, PowerPC( *cringes* ), x86, and x86-64 (Both AMD64 and Intel 64).Thus, you already lack the most fundamental concepts needed to build J.A.R.V.I.S

I never claimed those to be either. If you read my second paragraph, you will see a lot of mentions that has to do with architecture.
I'm sure he was referring to me.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

So aregee, which architecture is it for (and OS)?

He said what architecture, it's 680x0 assembler.

OS is mostly irrelevant, but "Ultimate Soundtracker" is an Amiga program.

I'm assuming though that the actual disassembler is not running on Amiga, but some modern OS on a modern processor (not 680x0)

Olof Hedman is spot on, it is the Motorola 68000 series processors that were used in everything from the Amiga computer to printers, elevators, stoves, etc... The disassembler being made on a modern OS on a modern processor, namely Objective C on OS X, although I have an old Amiga laying around somewhere too.

The example was more to show that making your own OS in no way is a trivial task, like most people here does agree with.

Linux serves its purposes, but the reason Microsoft hit it big was because of the relative user friendliness of Windows. Apple hit it bigger because it had user friendliness and speed.

I'm sorry, did I just fall into some alternate universe where Apple PC's have market share?

Apple 'hit it big' because they are NOT a computer company. They are NOT a consumer electronics company. They are a fashion company.

It just so happens that the 'fashions' they sell involve electronic gadgets and gizmos.

As far as creating an OS goes, the Free Software Foundation has been working on one for, I don't even want to guess how many years now.

Check out the HURD and see how its doing. If you want to 'collaborate' on one, there's your opportunity.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement