Sign in to follow this  
Headkaze

Debug output options for Visual Studio using Release

Headkaze    607

I have a project I'm working on that has folders relative to the "Release" folder that my application requires. This means I am constantly compiling in Release mode even during debugging.

The issue is I want to be able to toggle debug output on and off.

What should I do to deal with this situation? Should I set the Debug and Release output folders the same directory and use Debug when I want Debug output? Or should I use the Release mode and setup a #define for toggling Debug output?

SeanMiddleditch    17565
A common approach is to make a common output directory and then modify the output names for release vs debug names. For instance, you might generate Foo.exe and FooDebug.exe. DLLs/libraries often have a 'd' suffix on debug builds as well.

Another very common approach is to just not make things relevant to the output directories. You can use a post-build step to copy DLLs into the output directory and use a config file or other means to set resource paths outside of the output directory.

Bacterius    13165

Just don't make your application depend on stuff inside a Release folder - copy whatever is needed (in the proper debug/release configuration) inside a folder for each build configuration, and run it there (via a build script or other). That way you don't have hidden dependencies in your build system and can build in debug or release mode without headaches.