[SDSM] Needed ot not ? Better nowadays ?

Started by
3 comments, last by FreneticPonE 10 years ago

Hi all,

SDSM begin to be an old technique, but it’s the lastest technique found for shadow (2011).
Is SDSM too heavy to use or THIS IS the technique to use nowadays ?
A better way exist nowadays or it still the best actually ?
Thanks
Advertisement

Can you provide the definition of SDSM? I just searched for it on Google, and no particular result jumped out at me.

Can you provide the definition of SDSM? I just searched for it on Google, and no particular result jumped out at me.

Sample Distribution Shadow Maps

The probleme of cascaded shadow map (classical) is that need to set split, SDSM give that auto.

This is more artist friendly and give better result since the partition is updated real time.

But the question still there, is it the technique to use nowadays ?

EDIT : Apparently that still the best, coupled with EVSM.

The upcoming PS4 exclusive The Order: 1886 definitely pushes the technolofy envelope in many aspects of its rendering, and Ready at Dawn’s Graphics and Engine Programmer Matt Pettineo has been sharing what kind of techniques are being used to achieve the level of realism we’re seeing in the game.
We use SDSM + EVSM

You can use Crytek's "Oblique Shadow Mapping" found in one of their presentations for Crysis 3. Should have less overhead, it's a similar idea but only manipulating the splits to fit solely into the player view frustrum, so should trade off lower quality for lower overhead while still improving over naive cascades. If that's what you're looking for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement