Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inverse Sine?

This topic is 5888 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m working on a 3D driving demo, and I have run into some trouble when attempting to make the various camera views. To calculate the angles, I am sure that I need to use the inverse sine (often written as sin^-1) function, and also maybe inverse cos and inverse tan functions later on. However, Visual Basic does not have this function built in. Does anyone know how to create my own inverse sine function, given these functions and operators to use: sin, cos, tan, atn (arctangent), + * - + ^. So this isn''t a VB problem it''s a maths problem. Any trigonometry geniouses want to help? Thanks in advance!

I''m almost positive VB would have this. Look for arcsin, arccos etc. Also, while looking under sin, see if they have links to asin/arcsin or something.

Thanks for being so quick!

VB has arctangent, but not arcsine or arccosine. I am confused though - is arcsine the same as inverse sine? I don''t think so. By inverse sine I mean a function like this example:

sin(x) = y

Now the inverse sine function would be able to reverse this, so that if I knew y I could find x like this:

invsin(y) = x

That is what I need.

quote:
Original post by bazee
Thanks for being so quick!

VB has arctangent, but not arcsine or arccosine. I am confused though - is arcsine the same as inverse sine? I don''t think so. By inverse sine I mean a function like this example:

sin(x) = y

Now the inverse sine function would be able to reverse this, so that if I knew y I could find x like this:

invsin(y) = x

That is what I need.

That''s arcsine.