When is DX 8.1 happening?

Started by
5 comments, last by thekid 22 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know when DX 8.1 is going to be released. I heard it will include the 3D Studio plugin for 3DSudio 4. If anyone has recompiled the 3.1 version would you be interested in sharing it? I cant figure out how to update the .x plugin for version 4 Any info would be great. Thanx, Kid
Advertisement
quote:Original post by thekid
Does anyone know when DX 8.1 is going to be released. I heard it will include the 3D Studio plugin for 3DSudio 4. If anyone has recompiled the 3.1 version would you be interested in sharing it? I cant figure out how to update the .x plugin for version 4

Any info would be great.

Thanx,
Kid

I''m not sure if DX8.1 will ever be out, MS is currently in beta testing stage of DX9 so don''t wait for DX8.1 as far as I can tell, DX9 should be shipping soon...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
What about the .x plugin will they ever update that or does someone have the updated version?
quote:Original post by Cyberdrek
I'm not sure if DX8.1 will ever be out, MS is currently in beta testing stage of DX9 so don't wait for DX8.1 as far as I can tell, DX9 should be shipping soon...

Errm - not true:

1) DirectX 8.1 is already available - The 8.1 runtime ships in WindowsXP!

2) For all other versions of Windows, DirectX 8.1 and the 8.1 SDK are still in beta. The latest build is Release Candidate 2 (build 0710). It will be out *very* soon (MS themselves have said this on the beta test newsgroups).

3) When DirectX 8.1 is released, proper work will *start* on DirectX 9, soon after, a new beta programme will *start* for DirectX 9 testing - I'd expect DirectX 9 mid to end of NEXT year.

--
Simon O'Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Edited by - S1CA on November 2, 2001 9:44:48 AM

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote:Original post by S1CA

Errm - not true:

1) DirectX 8.1 is already available - The 8.1 runtime ships in WindowsXP!

2) For all other versions of Windows, DirectX 8.1 and the 8.1 SDK are still in beta. The latest build is Release Candidate 2 (build 0710). It will be out *very* soon (MS themselves have said this on the beta test newsgroups).

3) When DirectX 8.1 is released, proper work will *start* on DirectX 9, soon after, a new beta programme will *start* for DirectX 9 testing - I'd expect DirectX 9 mid to end of NEXT year.

--
Simon O'Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Edited by - S1CA on November 2, 2001 9:44:48 AM

How odd that the beta version of DX9 is already in Beta Testing stage then...

"And that's the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer

Edited by - cyberdrek on November 2, 2001 10:06:38 AM
[Cyberdrek | ]
MS official statement is(/was) that DX8.1 will ship for other platforms one month after XP's release. Do the maths..

SOURCE: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/corpevents/meltdown2001/ppt/GamingWinXP.ppt , slide 9.

Edited by - meZmo on November 3, 2001 4:16:43 PM
quote:
How odd that the beta version of DX9 is already in Beta Testing stage then...

Is it? - I''ve been a DirectX beta tester since DirectX 5. The DX9 beta programme HAS NOT started yet - ask Microsoft if you don''t believe me! (dxbeta@microsoft.com, directx@microsoft.com).

MS have started accepting applications for people who want to become DX9 beta testers when the programme does start.

"All currently active testers from the DX8.1 programme will be invited to join the DX9 programme when it starts." (Source: Mark Kenworthy & Phil Taylor, Microsoft).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement