Java MMORPG Tutorial Server ~ LearnGameDevelopment.com

Started by
1 comment, last by TheChubu 10 years ago

It's taken me a few tries to figure out exactly where I wanted to go with my life once I started programming, I've picked up numerous different game engines and attempted to create some tutorial series for numerous things; however they all fell flat due to latent lack of ideas and poor planning.

This time, it's different.

After some major decision making and drawing on the chalkboard I finally decided that I wanted to become a programming teacher at a public or private school, preferably for Java. Considering I'm already studying to become a Computer Science Major, I decided it was time to start building my portfolio, I figured I would do this by teaching. I have created a website regarding learning game development you can find here ( http://LearnGameDevelopment.com )

** Excuse me if the link isn't aloud **

This tutorial series is going to teach you everything you need to know to create an MMORPG using the Thread-per-connection server model.

330tpgg.jpg

In this tutorial series we will be building the Server and the Client from scratch.

Advertisement

Uhm, You might want to rethink that, the thread per connection model just isn't a good idea for an MMO, at 5000 clients you'd have 5000 threads and as you will need to send atleast some data to most of them on every single update the context switching will kill you.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Uhm, You might want to rethink that, the thread per connection model just isn't a good idea for an MMO, at 5000 clients you'd have 5000 threads and as you will need to send atleast some data to most of them on every single update the context switching will kill you.
This.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement