• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KB Toys

Using C++

This topic is 2003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have recently watched several videos on C++. I understand the basics, but how can I apply this into developing a game? 

Thanks

Advertisement

The way I look at it, any language is simply a tool. If you can describe how you want the game to work in terms of conditional logic and mathematical expressions on paper, you can then write it in C++ and run it. So, I believe that the more appropriate question is "How can I express a game in a strictly logical set of rules and interactions?" Translating to a programming language will follow.

Why is this in the "Artificial Intelligence" forum? There is a "For Beginners" forum.

Sorry wasn't sure which to put it in.

The way I look at it, any language is simply a tool. If you can describe how you want the game to work in terms of conditional logic and mathematical expressions on paper, you can then write it in C++ and run it. So, I believe that the more appropriate question is "How can I express a game in a strictly logical set of rules and interactions?" Translating to a programming language will follow.

Do you know any good videos I can watch to extend my knowledge on C++?

Do you know any good videos I can watch to extend my knowledge on C++?

I'm afraid not; the only thing that videos help for me is higher level math.

Programming is something that has always been a reading and hands-on experience kind of thing for me. Keep reading whatever you find, and learn to separate the good advice from the bad (prefer ones that quote the C++ standard). Make projects that become incrementally greater. Have you done the common "guess the number", tic-tac-toe, blackjack, and poker programming projects? Those are good starts.

Edited by Ectara

Think of console programming like a king-fu master telling you to hit a bowl of water again and again.  It seems silly to you at the time, and ever so boring.  You want to be making engines and games with cool graphics, and here you are wasting your time with yet another console tutorial.  Yet there is good reason the master has given you those instructions...

Programming is essentially all problem solving. You have a problem and you break it into smaller problems. You break the problem down enough until you have something you can Google. Then you put all of the pieces together and you have a program. Then the program doesn't work and you have to figure out why. That is programming.

hehe... so true ;)

This topic is 2003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.