What beginner langauge is better for a smooth 2d platforming game?

Started by
7 comments, last by JA Howe 10 years ago

I am looking for a new language to start on so I can get into the Indie business. I am a beginner at programming stuff and I am thinking what is a good program for a smooth 2d platformer game like meat boy. I think Meat Boy was made in C++,but is there something I can make close to a game like Meat Boy. I heard that C++ is not that good for beginners.

Advertisement

When you say you are a beginner at programming, what language do you have knowledge in?

When you say you are a beginner at programming, what language do you have knowledge in?

Game Maker Language. I do have some knowledge like have to make a very simple object to control and some basics. Not that much. I am hoping to find a good language to get into the indie stuff for maybe commercial use.

It is not about the language, it is about you. I have seen people with a phd in DSP being unable to program complex code but being able to solve complex integration equations.

The language is just a syntax, java or c# tend to make it easier since they correct somehow what is complex in c and c++ but internally it is a still the same. They hide complexity but it is still there.

On top of that, game is not only about programming but also about math and physics so you would need to understand vectors and trig pretty well for a start.

Though maybe you should try engines like unity is making it easy to start. And you can choose between c# or a JavaScript syntax language.

It is not about the language, it is about you. I have seen people with a phd in DSP being unable to program complex code but being able to solve complex integration equations.

The language is just a syntax, java or c# tend to make it easier since they correct somehow what is complex in c and c++ but internally it is a still the same. They hide complexity but it is still there.

On top of that, game is not only about programming but also about math and physics so you would need to understand vectors and trig pretty well for a start.

Though maybe you should try engines like unity is making it easy to start. And you can choose between c# or a JavaScript syntax language.

Ok,I am thinking about giving Monogames a try.

I think Meat Boy was made in C++,but is there something I can make close to a game like Meat Boy.

The original Meat Boy was actually a Flash game, and Super Meat Boy was C++.

The creator posted a blog entry with advice for beginners on "how do I get started programming games", and it includes a brief selection on choosing a language; to briefly summarise, he recommends "whatever language you feel most comfortable with".

If you're willing to put in the work you could easily create a game of similar quality using Game Maker, and join the list of other commercially successful games created with that tool. Just about any other language you might be likely to choose would also be just fine.

Hope that helps! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for the info guys. I guess Game Maker is good to get into the indie stuff. I will still like to give C# a try,but Game Maker might be something I will come back to in the future maybe.

Every language has its strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. If there was a perfect language, everyone would be using it.

Learn algorithms, control structures, program flow. You can do that in Game Maker Language as easily as you can in Ruby, Python, C++, or C (I think you can safely ignore sed and awk for game programming - though someone will probably trot something out to prove me wrong blink.png ). Loops, conditional branches, sequential code execution (this line, then the next line, and so on). That right there is enough to solve most computing problems (you need recursion for a few things). Working with variables and their scope. Once you're comfortable with those concepts, then you can go look at languages that give you more tools to work with: data structures being a big one you should learn (no, hash maps are not the answer to every problem). Design patterns is another one. If you're going to program object-oriented code understand the 'philosophy' of objects, methods, scope and the things that make OO programming what it is. Why choose OO over procedural code? Anything you can do in one you can do in the other.

These are the sorts of things you should be focusing on. Once you've learned that and can answer those questions, you'll be ready to use whatever language you pick up. And you'll be in a position of being able to choose the best language to solve a problem, rather than having to solve every problem in the language you know.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, Vampire the Maquerade: Bloodlines

You'll have to let me know how GameMaker is; I have 3yrs' studying Python, so at the moment it's what I've been doing stuff in. As of yet though I'd still consider myself beginner-intermediate in it, and I'm only doing text adventures. But I've also had GM suggested to me for whenever I might want another language under my belt.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement