Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

OpenGL Opinions needed

This topic is 1743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am still swaying between OpenGL and DirectX9.

First of all, the tools I need are

1) Recast/Detour

2) a free 64-bit compiler/IDE, cos I can't afford one basically

3) some mesh loading mechanisms, like assimp

So what is the best way to go?

DirectX9 or OpenGL.

I am still having a hard time compiling all the stuff I want.

So how do you guys do it?

Can I make a commercial application with Visual Studio Express?

Thanks

Jack

Advertisement
XNA is a framework built around D3D9.
I find d9/d11 easier to use than GL but others will say the opposite. D9 and d11 are also very different than each other - d9 represents how GPUs used to be designed in 2004, and d11 represents how they're designed a decade later ;) In some ways it's much more complex, but at the same time it's much more general.
Most people would say to skip d9, because the only advantage that it has is that it can run on WinXP (and let's you acces SM3).
D11 lets you choose which "feature level" you want - so you can choose between d9, d10 or d11 features (allowing you to support old GPUs) while still using the new d11 API. The downside is that your users require WinVista/7/8.

GL has many different versions - GL2.1 corresponds roughly with d9 capabilities, GL3 roughly with d10, and GL4 roughly with d11.
The strange (or good, depending on your perspective) thing wih GL is you can mix and math code between versions, kind of... So you can copy some GL1.5 code and paste it into a GL3.1 renderer!

2) a free 64-bit compiler/IDE, cos I can't afford one basically

Visual Studio Express is free and supports 64-bit too. 

Cheers!

I vote for DX11 you wont get better performance on PC. Thinking about OpenGL... Well... It is very... abstract as a library... And to tell the truth OpenGL always was just a copy of DX functionality. So GO GO GO DirectX11.

I vote for DX11 you wont get better performance on PC. Thinking about OpenGL... Well... It is very... abstract as a library... And to tell the truth OpenGL always was just a copy of DX functionality. So GO GO GO DirectX11.

That simply isn't true - GL came first...

To the OP - either API will do the same thing. My personal preference is for OpenGL, mostly because it suit's my 'C with objects' type programming style... but if you're thinking of a commercial application, D3D11 has a massive advantage in that you can use it with WinRT with little change to your app, and sell it through the App Store. OpenGL on the other hand allows for cross platform development. Which is most important to you? Which OS's are you targeting?

Either way, VS Express is the way to go regarding IDE.

Edited by mark ds

OK then :D GL came first, but regarding functionality DirectX is the leading force. For example tessellation firstly became available on DX and then after a year on GL.

Nevertheless DirectX and Visual Studio in my eyes is the only path for Windows OS game. If it is not Windows OS game you want to make, then you have no other choice but to use OpenGL and Code::Blocks(probably). 

Good luck with whatever you will be creating.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!