Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clovis2000

What should the ninth element should be???

I''m planning to make a RPG with a total of nine elemental properties, so far, I have only thought eight of them. I need some ideas for the ninth element. Please note that the ninth element is, naturally, stronger than the previous eight. The eight elements I have thought of are here, in order from the weakest to the strongest: Fire, Water, Ice, Thunder, Earth, Wind, Holy, and Darkness(or Shadow or Unholy or Undead...) I''m open to suggestions.

When you think about it, the answer is quite obvious: Dr. Pepper! The nectar that is Dr. Pepper has been my lifeblood for the last several months. Without it I would not be able to start a fire, drink water, ice skate, shake sheets of metal, cause earthquakes, blow wind, perform miracles, or revive zombies.

Or you could make it club sandwiches..

If you wanted to go along with the theme of your other elements, however, "Youth" might work in there somehow.. If you wanted to get even cornier you could go with "Human Spirit" (called just "Spirit" but I didn''t want it to get confused with "Holy") or even so sickeningly saccharine as "Love." That is, if you want your world to have an overall positive aspect. But since you put "Darkness" over "Holy," I can only conclude you might want a gloomier final power.. perhaps "Rage" or "Hatred."

I think the best would be to make up an element that would go with your story. For instance, you could have some imaginary force known only as "The Beam," and then as Stephen King might say, all things would "Serve the Beam." If you didn''t want to run into copyright laws you could make up your own story with its own specialized godlike force and use it as the final element. It would be something you had to wait a very long time to get, and when you did you would become semi-devine - perhaps the element could even be called "God."

My immediate completely random thought was entropy, the undoing of all the other elements. Naturally more powerful than the others. Either difficult to control, or having side-effects.

Really, though I assume this is for some sort of magic system? Or is it something else? A belief system for the populace? A way of representing objects? Characters? All of the above?

What is the rest of the world like? The backstory (in a nutshell). If there''s going to be one element above all others, probably best that it were an abstract concept, that meshes in with the theme of the rest of the backstory.

-Just my two pez worth.

isnt there supposed to be the "life" element somewhere ? or that falls in holy....anyway would be nice cuz life is a force not to mess with...and the oposite of life could be oblivion, wich is the total nothingness. heh, its pretty good =)

Guest Anonymous Poster
two powerful opposing forces: cosmos and chaos (order and disorder).

Qui/Mana/Energy - the vital element - related to all other elements
Astral/Ethereal - an exotic element, partly in this world, partly in another, this little known element is responsible for the most unbelievable magic, as it doesn''t obey the laws of this world like all the other elements do
Life/Blood - this element separates the living creatures from dead things
Gold/Crystal - everyone seems to quest for this element since the beginning of time - the quest never stopped, but the magics that motivated this tireless quest where forgotten
Dream - "we are made of the stuff dreams are made of" - this element extends from the imaginary realms to the real one with a subtle but powerful touch. It is said that ghosts are really the enduring dreams of those who died of sudden deaths.

Man... You guys surely have lots of ideas, now it''s even harder to choose the MOST POWERFUL element for me.
Perhap I should be more details to narrow it down: -the element must be *almost* godlike powerful
-it should be neither belong to good nor evil nor ugly
-it can kill some specify enemies instantly, no matter how strong is the enemy

Nothing is impossible if you don''''t take it seriously...
And nothing is possible if you take it seriously.

quote:
Original post by pwd
My immediate completely random thought was entropy, the undoing of all the other elements. Naturally more powerful than the others. Either difficult to control, or having side-effects.

heh heh that is funny... you "completely random" thought was entropy... heh heh...
i like that one though... think about it: due to those laws of thermodynamics, in the end (even if it is billions of years away) entropy will prevail, and the universe will burn out. definitely the most powerful...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

The ninth element wil be..... poop.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

quote:
Original post by Clovis2000
Man... You guys surely have lots of ideas, now it''s even harder to choose the MOST POWERFUL element for me.
Perhap I should be more details to narrow it down: -the element must be *almost* godlike powerful
-it should be neither belong to good nor evil nor ugly
-it can kill some specify enemies instantly, no matter how strong is the enemy

Nothing is impossible if you don''t take it seriously...
And nothing is possible if you take it seriously.

In that case, you want Merlin''s spell of undoing... It can destroy a living thing or give it life back. For more details watch the original movie Excalibur, not the remake...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer

Fire, Water, Ice, Thunder, Earth, Wind, Holy and Darkness

About that eight you already have:
1. You could use Brightness instead of Holy (*bah*)

2. You could use Cursed instead of Darkness

3. You could use Light instead of Holy and Shadow instead of Darkness

About a ninth:
1. You could use Fire, Water, Ice, Thunder, Earth, Wind, Holy, Undead and Demonic
3. You could use Fire, Water, Ice, Thunder, Earth, Wind, Holy, Cursed and Divine
3. You could use Fire, Water, Ice, Thunder, Earth, Wind, Light, Shadow and None

quote:
Original post by Cyberdrek
In that case, you want Merlin''s spell of undoing... It can destroy a living thing or give it life back. For more details watch the original movie Excalibur, not the remake...

it is the "charm of making" (not spell of undoing)...
that was the only movie i watched more than "clash of the titans" when i was younger!
anell nathruk...
ooth vas betad...
uthiel dienve...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Ether is one of my MP restoring items.
To John: I''ve decide to rename my eighth element to Shadow, while keep other the same, but your ideas of combination in not bad. In fact, it actually gave me a brainstrom, why not try to mix base elements to become a different element? Then the most powerful element will have to be a mix of ALL base and compound elements together. Geez... It''s beginning to sound a lot like a science class...

Ether is one of my MP restoring items.
To John: I''ve decide to rename my eighth element to Shadow, while keep other the same, but your ideas of combination in not bad. In fact, it actually gave me a brainstrom, why not try to mix base elements to become a different element? Then the most powerful element will have to be a mix of ALL base and compound elements together. Geez... It''s beginning to sound a lot like a science class...

No, Ether is most commonly used as MP restoring items in most RPG, just like Phoenix Down, Potion, Hi-Potion, Elixir, and some weapons. If Squaresoft used weapons, then you should make a RPG without weapons in order to stay out of trouble??? Come on, I see same healing items in most RPG, beside, it don''t really matter if you used Ether as MP restorer.

I think Astral would be a cool ninth element... it is part of all the other elements yet the other elements have no relation to it. Using it should like stepping past the line that keeps you and your body tied to this world. Just some thoughts I have. =D

Just a thought, why is water and ice two elements, ice is frozen water or?

My choice of elements would be:
Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Spirit, Mind (or Mentalism), Body (or Healing), Dark (or Destruction) and Light.

But all elements are offcurse depending on the background of your world. Perhaps there some gods in the game that can you can channel power from so some kind Evil and Good powers can be channeled thru them?

/Morkul

Clovis, you missed my point. No, your RPG shouldn''t be without weapons. But what other RPGs besides Squaresoft''s (Including Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.) uses Ether, Tincture, Phoenix Down, etcetera? Or uses their weapon names, like Ogre Nix. You really ought to read posts more carefully, for you were about ten miles off-point.

My $0.03, because I find $0.02 isn''t enough