Upcoming Multiplatform Game Programming Book for Beginners

Started by
10 comments, last by sindisil 9 years, 12 months ago

Hi,

My name is Jazon Yamamoto, and I started my game programming career here at Gamdev. I started programming games when I was 13 and did so as a hobby ever since (I can't believe it's almost been 10 years!). I even submitted an image for Image of The Day once. You can find it here. Its the left most image on the second row. I submitted this when I had been coding for a year.

I haven't been active in these forums for a long time now, but I still get nostalgic when I come here. This is where i learned everything I know from many different posters that came and went throughout the years. This is also where I drew my motivation whenever I lost interest in programming. Among my favorite community members is Stompy9999. I love his games! He would upload them to the GD showcase, but I eventually lost track of him. Anyway, I completed my first professional project, and I would like to share it here with you guys.

I wrote a book titled The Black Art of Multiplatform Game Programming. This book covers beginner/intermediate level C/C++ game programming on Windows/Linux using SDL, and it will release on April 16, 2014. I had lots of fun doing this, and learned ALOT. This is pretty much the biggest thing I've done in my life so far! I would like to thanks you guys for being awesome and guiding me through my journey, and I hope I can guide you guys as well. Right now, I'm working on a space exploration indie title. Don't want to reveal too much, but I'll let you guys know when that's done as well ;)

Advertisement
Will you release it on the Apple Ibooks Store? Seems an interesting book to read. My journey is just starting, and perhaps it might go 10 years? Nice to see someone who has "arrived" hehe. Welcome back.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Will you allow readers to help fix bugs in the source codes you will provide once your book is released? As far as I know, some books I have read tend to have errors in the codes printed in the chapters.

Congratulations on the book, and glad to hear you found the site and community valuable!

We'd love to hear a bit more about your new game if you'd like to share a developer journal or submit screenshots to the gallery again! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Congrats. Just finished a book myself. It is such a great feeling to get one finished, but I think they are like tattoos. You can't just have one.

When is it going to be available? How do you tackle the problem of a server? C++ is not my choice for networked programming.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Will you release it on the Apple Ibooks Store? Seems an interesting book to read. My journey is just starting, and perhaps it might go 10 years? Nice to see someone who has "arrived" hehe. Welcome back.

I know there will be digital formats (there already is a Nook version) but I'm not sure if there will be an Ibooks Store version. I'll be the first to let you know when I find out!

Will you allow readers to help fix bugs in the source codes you will provide once your book is released? As far as I know, some books I have read tend to have errors in the codes printed in the chapters.

Definitely! Just send me an email at jazon-yamamoto.com. I believe in giving consumers the product they paid for!

Congratulations on the book, and glad to hear you found the site and community valuable!

We'd love to hear a bit more about your new game if you'd like to share a developer journal or submit screenshots to the gallery again! smile.png

I'm anxious to share it as well, but I want it to look nice before I share it. My programmer art is getting better, but I still have a long way to go!

Congrats. Just finished a book myself. It is such a great feeling to get one finished, but I think they are like tattoos. You can't just have one.

When is it going to be available? How do you tackle the problem of a server? C++ is not my choice for networked programming.

Thanks! I appreciate it. It is available for Nooks as of right now, and it will be available in retailers and Amazon within the next week. You can already preorder it on Amazon. And I actually don't cover SDL Net. This is a book targeted towards beginners, and unfortunately, a networking chapter would have been beyond the scope of the book.

This seems extremely interesting. I too am a new developer, mainly just a hobbyist trying to have fun with my spare time (first app is linked in my Signature).

Let me know when it's available as a regular e-book, I don't have a nook, but I am interested in this topic!

Please check out my website for more information on my available apps: http://www.cb-indev.com/apps.html

PopQuiz!, free trial on Windows Store: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/popquiz/c3e50a2f-bafb-4067-9ad0-cbaaaaa99757

PopQuiz!, on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CBInDev.PopQuiz

Debouncer Demo on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CB_InDev.Debouncer_Demo

And I actually don't cover SDL Net. This is a book targeted towards beginners, and unfortunately, a networking chapter would have been beyond the scope of the book.

Actually, I would prefer it if you add a SDL Net chapter as an appendix for those who are really interested in it. All beginner's books started out very nice, but they just end the books at a point when the reader wanted to learn more features in the intermediate levels (not advanced, just slightly harder than novice).

Or maybe a primer of chapters in which multiplayer games will have to touch up on later in the development. I do know, that books covering SDL of related libraries (images, audio, network, etc.) is really hard to find.

This seems extremely interesting. I too am a new developer, mainly just a hobbyist trying to have fun with my spare time (first app is linked in my Signature).

Let me know when it's available as a regular e-book, I don't have a nook, but I am interested in this topic!

Definitely! It shouldn't be longer than a week or so!

And I actually don't cover SDL Net. This is a book targeted towards beginners, and unfortunately, a networking chapter would have been beyond the scope of the book.

Actually, I would prefer it if you add a SDL Net chapter as an appendix for those who are really interested in it. All beginner's books started out very nice, but they just end the books at a point when the reader wanted to learn more features in the intermediate levels (not advanced, just slightly harder than novice).

Or maybe a primer of chapters in which multiplayer games will have to touch up on later in the development. I do know, that books covering SDL of related libraries (images, audio, network, etc.) is really hard to find.

If it helps, I can make a tutorial and upload it to my website. I'm planning on doing chapters that I didn't put into the book for one reason or another :)

Definitely! It shouldn't be longer than a week or so!

If it helps, I can make a tutorial and upload it to my website. I'm planning on doing chapters that I didn't put into the book for one reason or another smile.png

But then it won't make your book "unique" in the eyes of readers. There needs to be an attractive section in your book that readers can enjoy working on, and re-refer to the book over and over again. Like a stepping stone of a path to enlightening in a linear fashion, readers new to multiplayer games using SDL will want the book to guide them through to new heights.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement