Great laptop for game development? (Budget of +1200,- euros)

Started by
50 comments, last by Ohforf sake 9 years, 12 months ago

I use an Ideapad y500 (You can get a y510p), and it's absolutely amazing. It's incredibly fast, and the new y510P supposedly has great battery also. It also has everything on your list.

There is no DDR-5

Yes there is. It's used in almost all modern graphics cards.

Processor needs to be at least 3.0 Ghz these days

In a laptop? You're dreaming. You want around 2.4 Ghz.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement

Ravyne meant as system memory... rolleyes.gif

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Right. Fun fact: GDDR5 is based on DDR3.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Am I the only one that thinks its kind of laughable to suggest that some sort of game program at a.. I dunno, university, trade school, wherever this is, is asking for requirements that high? Like.. really, if they expect you to tinker with Unreal or something on a laptop I would question the sanity of people running said program.

I'm with Frob on this one.. you could probably use a 10 year old laptop if all you're going to be doing is taking notes. If they're really expecting you to run games on a laptop for classes I am mind boggled.

Although if you're that interested why don't you try and contact them somehow and ask about it? To me it sounds a lot more like they just took some fancy sounding specs and listed them just to make you buy something expensive to bring.

Am I the only one that thinks its kind of laughable to suggest that some sort of game program at a.. I dunno, university, trade school, wherever this is, is asking for requirements that high? Like.. really, if they expect you to tinker with Unreal or something on a laptop I would question the sanity of people running said program.I'm with Frob on this one.. you could probably use a 10 year old laptop if all you're going to be doing is taking notes. If they're really expecting you to run games on a laptop for classes I am mind boggled.Although if you're that interested why don't you try and contact them somehow and ask about it? To me it sounds a lot more like they just took some fancy sounding specs and listed them just to make you buy something expensive to bring.

I'm not sure why you have this impression? I use nothing but laptops now and my current laptop ( Razer 14" ) and my prior 2 year old ( Asus g53 ) have absolutely no issue running UE4. But yes, you have to pay for a solid GPU and a non shit hard drive.

To get things clear; I want this laptop to be a bit of a beast, do the things I want it to do without problems, and then a little bit.

I understand that I can get away with a I7 at 2,4 ghz and I made some alterations, so here's my new list:

4Th generation I7 @2,4 ghz. Dual core with Hyperthread
16 GB DDR3 memory @1600 mhz

500Gb HDD and 250Gb SSD
Or
500Gb SSD

Nvidia 860m

1920*1080 monitor
Windows 7

Again, no HP, Dell or Alienware

I also plan to record some stuff with the laptop and don't want to just trash all the videos, thus why I want more storage then usual.

This laptop also needs partitions; 1 for school and 1 for myself, so thats why I need some more also.

I'm thinking I probably want the Ideapad Y510P

500Gb HDD and 250Gb SSD
Or
500Gb SSD

You could get a laptop with just a normal HDD in it, and then save up for a WD hybrid drive if you really need it.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

A good screen (Full-HD no-glare or better), a good keyboard and a decent weight is all you need. Take a look at some "cheap" SSDs (like the crucial) too...

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

I use an Ideapad y500 (You can get a y510p), and it's absolutely amazing. It's incredibly fast, and the new y510P supposedly has great battery also. It also has everything on your list.

There is no DDR-5

Processor needs to be at least 3.0 Ghz these days

In a laptop? You're dreaming. You want around 2.4 Ghz.

All of the specs that I wrote can be had for a $1200 laptop that he wants if he shops around the internet.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

The trouble with high-end laptops is that they're not very portable, in the sense that battery life suffers - I generally have run my Vaio F series at 50% in the power settings.

However (just to throw another option out there) an alternative is to buy a cheap tablet for note taking (assuming you'll have access to a school PC in class), and build yourself a better specified, but cheaper, desktop for home. Upgradeability and storage won't be an issue then (nor will overheating, which is always a problem with high end laptops).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement