I need some serious help from you guys! (Bring spatulas)

Started by
17 comments, last by theflink 10 years ago

Don't really understand the downvotes ... people read your post ... but there is a mismatch between the "I'm pumped and I will do whatever it takes" statement and "I would only be doing basic stuff since i'll outsouce the major components of the scripting and programming..".

We need to know your "target performance levels" as a programmer and/or as a game designer in order to provide helpful advice.

If you want to be able to develop an Indie game, you should start with something simple like Snake and Tetris.

That is the only way to see how awfully hard seemingly basic things are.

It seems that you want to make sure that are not confronted with that advice, but maybe I am wrong!?

I'll just say that you will pay the price if you specialize on an engine and high level libraries without getting a feel for the programming basics and the big picture stuff.

Why wont you listen. I just said it twice.. I really try not to seem rude but really man? I've written it twice now, that i need to learn programming and scripting so i can make a prototype, and to know what is going on. That's why i want to learn it. It's not a contradiction. I want to learn enough to make a playable prototype so i can show people my vision to get them onboard so i can actually make a good game. My goal isnt to do it all myself. I want to do all the design stuff. Get it now??

Advertisement

Or maybe you're the one not expressing yourself as clearly as you think you do. Because I was about to post something extremely similar to what some of us said before being ninja'ed. In any case its not necessary to be that aggressive in your post, it's really not a good trait for a designer.

No matter what you think:

In any case, you should not start with such a strong focus on the game you will eventually make. You need to start with simpler things.

Is a very good advice.

Why wont you listen. I just said it twice.. I really try not to seem rude but really man? I've written it twice now, that i need to learn programming and scripting so i can make a prototype, and to know what is going on. That's why i want to learn it. It's not a contradiction. I want to learn enough to make a playable prototype so i can show people my vision to get them onboard so i can actually make a good game. My goal isnt to do it all myself. I want to do all the design stuff. Get it now??

Wow. You seem like great fun to work with. Where do I sign?

That aside, yes you can develop with C# in Unity and it is (so I understand) an excellent tool for prototyping and you can do a great deal without having to do much more than simple scripting. I'd suggest you look into the vast wealth of resources available for introduction to Unity.

Seriously, I can't google anything I'm interested in in game development now without Unity taking up the first two pages of Google.

Don't really understand the downvotes ... people read your post ... but there is a mismatch between the "I'm pumped and I will do whatever it takes" statement and "I would only be doing basic stuff since i'll outsouce the major components of the scripting and programming..".

We need to know your "target performance levels" as a programmer and/or as a game designer in order to provide helpful advice.

If you want to be able to develop an Indie game, you should start with something simple like Snake and Tetris.

That is the only way to see how awfully hard seemingly basic things are.

It seems that you want to make sure that are not confronted with that advice, but maybe I am wrong!?

I'll just say that you will pay the price if you specialize on an engine and high level libraries without getting a feel for the programming basics and the big picture stuff.

Saying you want to learn to program and the only thing you want to make is a 3D game rather than practise on something simple along the way, is like saying you want to learn to be an engineer but your first project is going to be a Formula 1 car. Making small games is PART OF learning to program, not a diversion.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

I detected a spark of enthusiasm, from your question, which is great. When you create a movie, all you need is a script, to begin with and you don't need experience but dedication. I guess you could go the same way with a game. I haven't really completed a full PC game but I've had a lot of experience programming. After the years I wish I could have that enthusiasm that I first had. I wouldn't want you to lose your initial vision. If you break it down there isn't a great deal you need for a decent game, nice characters, nice scenery, dialog, networking.

The engine: the bullet physics engine is good for physics in your game; though at first it may seem difficult.

You can use the D3DX library to create 3D characters.

I'm talking about c++ here.

It could take a long time, years to learn. I've learned it. I'm not asking you to.

But a simple idea can go a long way - Flappy Bird

I have free time so if you want I could try my hand at making a small prototype, what do you think?

Doug

If you want me to be frank being a designer doesn't really happen usually without having another core skill set like programming.

If you're really just interested in focusing on the design of games and not having to deal with all the tools then I would definitely look towards a simpler program like Game Maker or something rather than a full fledged engine like Unity.

Enthusiasm is good but I think a lot of people are just taking what you say as being impatient and not reading between the lines of what they are trying to convey to you, you're not likely to make games without being an artist, a programmer, a team leader, something like that. Just being able to do design doesn't really happen.

You are absolutely on the right path, in wanting to learn to make your own demo. I have said in the past that a game designer doesn't "need" to be a programmer, but today, the more a game designer knows about programming, the better off he'll be. So (if it seems to you that people have been discouraging you from this path) I'm with you on that.

However, you really need to change the way you respond to comments. Rather than "you're not hearing me," a good game designer says "sorry I explained myself poorly, let me try to explain it another way." A game designer's primary skill is communication. That means it's his job to make sure others understand -- it's not the job of others to work harder to understand the game designer's ideas. If someone is misunderstanding the designer, the designer should assume that's his own fault, and should attempt (in a friendly collaborative way) to make his ideas clearer for others. A game designer who berates his teammates is not going to earn their trust and their cooperation.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You are absolutely on the right path, in wanting to learn to make your own demo. I have said in the past that a game designer doesn't "need" to be a programmer, but today, the more a game designer knows about programming, the better off he'll be. So (if it seems to you that people have been discouraging you from this path) I'm with you on that.

However, you really need to change the way you respond to comments. Rather than "you're not hearing me," a good game designer says "sorry I explained myself poorly, let me try to explain it another way." A game designer's primary skill is communication. That means it's his job to make sure others understand -- it's not the job of others to work harder to understand the game designer's ideas. If someone is misunderstanding the designer, the designer should assume that's his own fault, and should attempt (in a friendly collaborative way) to make his ideas clearer for others. A game designer who berates his teammates is not going to earn their trust and their cooperation.

Ok. I do understand, and I'm not just aping your reply when i say that i perhaps didn't explain myself in a proper way. I'm glad you understand what I'm saying. I just got a bit frustrated with replies that didn't correspond with what I thought i had said clearly.

I apologize to everyone whom I might have offended, and understand that you were all just trying to help me. Sorry.

And I wasn't discarding the idea of making really simple games as tests of my ability as part of learning the craft and as a part of getting better.

Thank you for understanding what I was saying Tom. And I will start getting better at my communication. Thanks, and again, sorry if I offended any of you. It was a poor introduction for me on this forum. Believe it or not, I am actually a nice guy. Maybe we should get a fresh start.. :)

I detected a spark of enthusiasm, from your question, which is great. When you create a movie, all you need is a script, to begin with and you don't need experience but dedication. I guess you could go the same way with a game. I haven't really completed a full PC game but I've had a lot of experience programming. After the years I wish I could have that enthusiasm that I first had. I wouldn't want you to lose your initial vision. If you break it down there isn't a great deal you need for a decent game, nice characters, nice scenery, dialog, networking.

The engine: the bullet physics engine is good for physics in your game; though at first it may seem difficult.

You can use the D3DX library to create 3D characters.

I'm talking about c++ here.

It could take a long time, years to learn. I've learned it. I'm not asking you to.

But a simple idea can go a long way - Flappy Bird

I have free time so if you want I could try my hand at making a small prototype, what do you think?

I sent you a personal message. hope you'll read it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement