• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
distilledwater71

Unity Can a non-programmer make games?

This topic is 1972 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a computer science major right now, thinking that this is the normal path for an aspiring game developer, but it just isn't clicking for me. I don't like it at all. But I still really want to make games alone without having to partner up with a programmer for it. Could someone like me still make good games using engines like Game Maker and Unity without having a serious, hardcore knowledge of programming?

Advertisement

No... it's not very possible.

The basic knowledge is things like creating a console application. The advanced knowledge is creating actual applications. And then Expert and Master is actually building your own systems.

If you do not have someone without advanced knowledge in computer science, then your project will be doomed from the beginning. You can live without a really good artist, and you can live without a decent story writer. It all comes down to how good your programming team is to your game's idea.

Granted, the API is a gimme. You still need to know how to manipulate the computer to get simple things done.

Edited by Tangletail

If you do not have someone without advanced knowledge in computer science, then your project will be doomed from the beginning. You can live without a really good artist, and you can live without a decent story writer. It all comes down to how good your programming team is to your game's idea.

while I agree with your previous statement, I disagree with this one. Virtual games are a unique combination of art and technology. While it is true that you can make the individual parts without need of another's help, if they don't fit together well, the game will be shit. Unless you yourself are both an artist or programmer, you cannot live without one.

Game developing is like a teamsport for nerds-~ it's best done with a team. If you really wanna go solo, (not Han Solo), you have to know some programming. While it is indeed possible, with current engines on the market to make games without either programming or art knowledge and skill, it will, at least, not be as good as when you are making it with people that "know stuff" a truly good game requires at least a programmer and an artist.

Usually coding will come up in one way or another. For instance even RPG maker has a few different series of more "casual-ish" rpgs like Aveyond(that have made some pretty good money as far as I can tell.) Game maker is the same way really. The thing is even using progressively more tools that remove the coding requirement, you'll probably have to learn some scripting at the least if you want to put unique behavior in your game.

Coding is always kind of there it just matters how much you'll delve into it. Of course there is an ENORMOUS gap in the knowledge required to throw a game together with an existing tool vs starting from scratch or libraries. Like Apoch said, if it really became an issue you could always look for someone to collaborate with.

Learning a little coding knowledge isn't bad though, it helps give more perspective on games and works your brain to react to logic better.

EDIT: If you're not much of a programmer there's always the possibility of switching your major. Just do what you're happy with, not what you think will be the best thing. Edited by Satharis

No... it's not very possible.

The basic knowledge is things like creating a console application. The advanced knowledge is creating actual applications. And then Expert and Master is actually building your own systems.

Granted, the API is a gimme. You still need to know how to manipulate the computer to get simple things done.

Disagree. If you're doing anything within the role-play genre, as an example - story comes first, second, and third. Without that, you have no game.

Pretty graphics and fluid motion can only take you so far.

If you don't handle the programming, it has to be handled by someone else. Two main possibilities: a teammate or a toolkit. Unreal has blueprints, Game Maker has it's drag and drop stuff. Pretty much every 'engine' has some sort of scripting capability. It's a bit like asking, "What do I need to know to make a movie?" A whole hell of a lot, actually if you're talking from writing the first draft of the screenplay through the filming to the final post-production editing (and don't forget marketing).

Games are a lot like that - there is no 'one thing' that makes or breaks a game: it's the sum of a whole lot of things that need to work together. You can be 'weak' in one or two areas and make up for it in others (so long as they don't completely suck), but the better you or your team are overall, the better the game will be.

Edited by Mouser9169

I am a computer science major right now, thinking that this is the normal path for an aspiring game developer, but it just isn't clicking for me. I don't like it at all. But I still really want to make games alone without having to partner up with a programmer for it. Could someone like me still make good games using engines like Game Maker and Unity without having a serious, hardcore knowledge of programming?

My next door neighbour just started making games using a 2D game engine and although he doesn't know any programming, he's doing ok. Every now and then, I take a brief look at his games and give him some advice on problems he's having and that seems to help a lot. 
So, I think it will be a lot harder, but if you can have people look over your code or give help every now & then, IRL or online, you can do it. Definitely would recommend initially making 2D games using a pre-made engine to start off with though. You might consider to start out by making some clones of basic games, such as pong, asteroids and city defence.

Personally, I use GameDevelop for making 2D games ( http://www.en.compilgames.net/ ) for which I'm just about to finish up some major tutorials on how to make some of these games on scratch (going up on Youtube this Easter weekend). My neighbour is using construct 2 and he seems to find that fine too. Unity I believe, is a little more difficult for the beginner (that is just my two cents though).

It's possible to make games solo without being able to program; HOWEVER, not being able to program severely restricts the range of ideas you are able to realize alone.

Giving more information about the types of games you'd like to make would make it easier to give a specific answer and help direct you to the appropriate tools.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!