How to define an datatype

Started by
6 comments, last by Nordgeist 22 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I have a question about datatypes, for example, how must an exe datatype be defined, to be an exe. Also which DLL,s ect. mußt it have to definie it as an exe type. And does anyone knows a good website about dataype defines? Searched in MSDN, some serach engines ect. but haven´t find something usefull yet.
Advertisement
I''m fairly confused about what you mean by datatype.

A datatype is simply a format for representing data; it has nothing to do with whether you''re writing a DLL or an EXE. What do you want to know?
EXE is a file format. It will have start entry and etc etc defined in a structure or something.

EXE is just a format, like any other file format(for eg:-BMP) by no way a data type :-).

P.S. :- If I am wrong someone correct me please :-)
Hello from my world
quote:Original post by Sneftel
I''m fairly confused about what you mean by datatype.

A datatype is simply a format for representing data; it has nothing to do with whether you''re writing a DLL or an EXE. What do you want to know?

Because I used the wrong word, well I want to know, how is a format defined if windows should know it as a exe. Also how does windows knows, that the format is a exe? Sorry my englisch is becomming bad since the las year;-)

All file''s have an extention. An exe would be filename.exe, a bitmap would be filename.bmp and so on. Windows has an option to make extentions visible, which I couldn''t imagine living without. Most types can be associated with specific applications (hold shift while right clicking on a file and select open_with, and that will permit you to apply a different app to associate with the given extention).

Hope that helps

If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!
If you want to know the fileformat of an exe or dll file go to www.wotsit.org, and look under the "Binaries" category for the EXE and PE entries (PE = Portable Executable, the newer type of exe).
I have read your post in the GameDev.net forum for beginners. I don''t really understand your question. If you want to you can send it to me in German words if I really interpreted your Nickname.

Write in German and I will try to answer as good as possible

see ya
Floppi
quote:Original post by Floppi
I have read your post in the GameDev.net forum for beginners. I don''t really understand your question. If you want to you can send it to me in German words if I really interpreted your Nickname.

Write in German and I will try to answer as good as possible

see ya
Floppi

Thanks to all of you. Find a good book about this things;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement