undefined reference to `SDL_main'

Started by
15 comments, last by georger.araujo 9 years, 12 months ago
I'm using MinGW/Msys and SDL2.
---------------------------------------
These are my console contents.
g++ -c Main.cpp -ID:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\include
g++ -o Main.o -LD:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2
D:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib/libSDL2main.a(SDL_windows_main.o): In function `console_main':
/Users/slouken/release/SDL/SDL2-2.0.2-source/foo-x86/../src/main/windows/SDL_windows_main.c:140: undefined reference to `SDL_main'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Main.exe] Error 1
[Finished in 0.6s]
--------------------------------------
Here is Main.cpp.

#include <SDL2/SDL.h>

#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
	const char* test = "Test";

std::cout << test << std::endl;

return 0;
}

This is my first time using SDL2 instead of SDL 1.2.

Advertisement

Sounds like you're not linking to the appropriate library.

n!

I think that is a classic ... I have struggled with that error message several times as well, but that was a long time ago.

Maybe those responses help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/115813/how-to-statically-compile-an-sdl-game-on-windows

First thing I thought was "isn't -mwindows important as well"!? ... but not sure if that is it.

I also think it is a linking problem.

EDIT:

I think ... (but I am not 100% sure) the last time I fought with this error it was because of a 32-bit vs 64-bit problem. When I used the other libraries it worked as far as I remember ... even if it did not really make sense to me at the time.

Given enough eyeballs, all mysteries are shallow.

MeAndVR

Try to compile without -lSDL2main ...

Also, try to swap it with -lSDL2, the order is important when linking.

How did you install SDL2? You may have to link the lib files with their full paths (e.g. -L/PATH/TO/FILE/libSDL2.a )

Try to compile without -lSDL2main ...

Also, try to swap it with -lSDL2, the order is important when linking.

How did you install SDL2? You may have to link the lib files with their full paths (e.g. -L/PATH/TO/FILE/libSDL2.a )

When I compile it without -lSDL2main it returns the error "undefined reference to `WinMain@16'"

When I swap it, it returns an even longer error message. (including "undefined reference to `SDL_main'")

Didn't I link them correctly? They're on my D: drive.

g++ -o Main.o -LD:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2main -lSDL2

I just tried compiling SDL 1.2 and it returned the same error

Try

g++ -o Main.o -LD:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2 -lSDL2main -mwindows

Linkage problems are hard because they aren't obvious and, without seeing all the details, it is hard to know what is and what isn't missing. You can also try sdl-config with --libs or --static-libs as: <`sdl-config --libs`> without < and >...

SDL uses a macro for main, you have to link the SDL2main lib or "#undef main" after include SDL.h.

Try

g++ -o Main.o -LD:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib -lmingw32 -lSDL2 -lSDL2main -mwindows

It returned the same error as to when I switched -lSDL2 and -lSDL2main

SDL uses a macro for main, you have to link the SDL2main lib or "#undef main" after include SDL.h.

When I try statically linking it, I get "undefined reference to `WinMain@16'"

When I added "#undef main" after include SDL.h, I get "undefined reference to 'SDL_main'"

I know it's something I'm doing wrong, I'm just not sure what. I'm sorry this is is being so complicated.

The problem with linkage is that we can only guess without knowing the details of the system where you are compiling.

Are you trying to link it statically or dynamically?

Try

g++ -o Main.o -lmingw32 -LD:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib\libSDL2main.a -LD:\SDL2\i686-w64-mingw32\lib\libSDL2.a -mwindows

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement