• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
too_many_stars

2D physics, random line geometry, many balls, and jitter problem

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have managed to cobble together a simple phyiscs simulation with random line geometry, and as many balls as I wish to create, all of which posses mass, resitituion and friction properties,

Collision and all of the physical properties seem to work fine, but I can't get the balls to settle, once they are close to rest, they keep jittering and bouncing slightly, and it's really unappealing. I tried implementing a threshold, but it did not solve my problem. Here's a section of the main loop.

for(int i=0;i<balls.size();i++)
			balls[i]->update((float)(SDL_GetTicks()-time));
		time=SDL_GetTicks();

for(int i=0;i<balls.size();i++){//balls vs balls
			for(int j=i+1;j<balls.size();j++){
				V2 coll_normal;
				if(balls[i]->checkBallColl(*balls[j],coll_normal)){
					balls[i]->handleBallColl(*balls[j],coll_normal);
					coll_normal.x*=-1;
					coll_normal.y*=-1;
					balls[j]->handleBallColl(*balls[i],coll_normal);
				}	
			}	
		}
		for(int i=0;i<lines.size();i++){//lines vs balls
			for(int j=0;j<balls.size();j++){
				V2 point(0,0);

if(balls[j]->checkLineColl(*lines[i],point)){
					balls[j]->bounce(point);

}		
			}

}

I was wondering if anyone has a good perspective on settling the balls to a resting state.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Ultramailmain,

I have spent many hours on Paul's site ( I even purchased some of his code) but speculative contacts is out of comprehension right now I am afraid.

Another way is to perform your collision solving step multiple times per frame, because solving collision once could lead to new collisions. So think of it as a fixed point method, refining your physics world the more times you run it.

Its a really tricky problem in all physics simulation.

In what way did the threshold "not work"?

That is a common approach to this problem, when the object is not moving enough, simply remove it from the simulation (deactivate it). Then reactivate it again when a (big enough) force acts upon it.

You could also try tweak dampening parameters.

It can also help running several iterations.

You can try change the scale of your simulation, to avoid floating point errors.

Apart from that, I don't know of much you can do except trying to implement more advanced collision handling.

Edited by Olof Hedman

Sorry for the belated reply.

Here are the bounce functions, one's for ball vs ball, the other ball vs line respectively

void Ball::bounce(RigidBody &rigid, V2 &coll_vect){

V2 difference=rigid.getVelocity()-velocity;
	V2 contact_normal=coll_vect;
	contact_normal.normalize();
	float dot=contact_normal.dot(difference);

float mass_rat=(1+e)*(rigid.getMass()/(rigid.getMass()+mass));
	if(dot>0){//if they are moving in the same direction
		c.p.x=c.p.x-mass_rat*contact_normal.x;
		c.p.y=c.p.y-mass_rat*contact_normal.y;
	}
	else{//bounce here
		correction.x=correction.x+(mass_rat*dot)*contact_normal.x;
		correction.y=correction.y+(mass_rat*dot)*contact_normal.y;
	}

}
void Ball::bounceLine(V2 &point){

V2 coll_normal=c.p-point;
	float coll_n_len=coll_normal.mag();
	coll_normal.normalize();

c.p.x+=coll_normal.x*(c.r-coll_n_len);
	c.p.y+=coll_normal.y*(c.r-coll_n_len);

float dot=velocity.dot(coll_normal);
	correction.x-=(1+e)*(dot)*coll_normal.x;
	correction.y-=(1+e)*(dot)*coll_normal.y;
}

As you can see it's the first function that's causing the jittering problem as it's impulse based while the other one ball vs line is after the fact position correction, that's why it's not jittering on the lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Mike

You write that you had a minimum threshold before and it didn't work out well. What didn't work about it? 

You will need to have something that says "this is small enough, stop working", otherwise they may never come fully to rest.  You never say what your scale is, it is common to use 1.0 = 1 meter. Recall that a float can represent down to 1e-37. That is very tiny. For comparison, the size of an electron is about 1e-15 meters. Plank length, the smallest theoretically measurable distance in the universe, is about 1e-35. So without any threshold in place, you are telling the computer that any motion, even motion that is 1/100 of the smallest theoretical measurable distance, it is still a significant movement.

A physics engine absolutely needs a minimum threshold. Even a threshold like 1e-3 or 1e-6, at some point you need to accept that the number is small enough that it no longer matters.

Thanks for the great and thoughtful reply frob. I tried to do things like

if(velocity<some small value) //dont check for collisions with other balls

but this caused more problems than it solved as all velocities start at V2(0,0), even though it did settle things down. Being a noob with physics engines (and programming in general), I am not exactly sure how to implement the threshold accurately as I don't fully understand the scope of the problem.

Initially it seemed like it would be rather simple to solve, but that has proven not to be the case.