Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ibanez

Sprite Routine efficiency

I gotta question.... My arkanoid/breakout clone redraws all the blocks on screen every frame, but when I have quite a few being displayed (usually about 200-300 on a full screen worth) the game slows down noticeably. Is this kind of figure typical of what I might get on my mid-spec system (P3-500, TNT2, etc)? or is my sprite routine horribly inefficient? How many sprites can you guys get with your sprite routines?

Are you using OpenGL or Direct3D?? How are yu going about the sprite drawing? (Bitmaps?)

I found when i breifly made a sprite engine that textured quads was a very fast way to do it. Textured triangles would be faster (quads are allways actually two triangles) but i found getting the sprite to appear on the triangle properly was difficult.

Oh yeah thats horribly inefficient. If you use my FPS technique (c) (see the other thread on fps) you will get a much higher frame rate

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned, im using VC++ with DX8 and Im using textured quads! So I guess I should be able to have tons more!

Try using only 1 DrawPrimitive call per texture.. That should speed it up a whole lot.

I'm assuming you call DrawPrimitive once for every quad, which isn't too speedy.

Orbitalx

Edited by - Orbitalx on November 2, 2001 4:57:58 PM