Site Stability Read more... ×
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VBStrider

Haukr - Top-Down Vertical Scrolling SHMUP

This topic is 2005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Play Haukr

Summary

Haukr is a top-down vertical scrolling shoot 'em up, designed in a style similar to old arcade games.  My brother and I started work on this game last year because we wanted to put together a small, fun game. While games like this do exist, there do not seem to be many in this exact genre and style.  Being fans of the genre, we decided to add our own game to the list smile.png  We hope you enjoy playing it as much as we enjoyed making it!

Controls

Use the arrow keys to fly around the screen. Tap the space bar to fire your warplane's weapons.

Objective

Destroy all enemies in your path!  Collect gold coins to gain additional lives, and large blue coins to upgrade your warplane's weapons.  If you manage to reach the end, the game will return you to the main menu.

Edited by InvisibleMan

Advertisement

Nice graphics and enemies. Some constructive criticism:

• At least on Kongregate, the view is very small: on my screen, about 5 cm wide. The unusually tall aspect ratio has significant gameplay potential, and I don't suggest changing it; but you can host your game in a way that allows fullscreen display.
  • Tapping space to shoot is completely inappropriate for a basic "pea-shooter"; please implement automatic fire with the two benefits of preventing RSI and controlling the player's available firepower (as opposed to letting fast tappers shoot too intensely).
  • Low contrast between the light grey clouds and the light grey player airplane. Both look good individually, but (since the size of everything is too small) I'm unable to see the airplane well enough to dodge. Consider a recolor of the airplane.

Nice graphics and enemies. Some constructive criticism:

• At least on Kongregate, the view is very small: on my screen, about 5 cm wide. The unusually tall aspect ratio has significant gameplay potential, and I don't suggest changing it; but you can host your game in a way that allows fullscreen display.
  • Tapping space to shoot is completely inappropriate for a basic "pea-shooter"; please implement automatic fire with the two benefits of preventing RSI and controlling the player's available firepower (as opposed to letting fast tappers shoot too intensely).
  • Low contrast between the light grey clouds and the light grey player airplane. Both look good individually, but (since the size of everything is too small) I'm unable to see the airplane well enough to dodge. Consider a recolor of the airplane.

Thank you for the feedback! smile.png  Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Regarding auto-fire: It was an intentional design decision to leave this out, as it supports the style we are going for. However, the fire key will be moved to the more easily pressed "Z" key and I will investigate the code to make sure that there is a limit to how fast you can fire your weapons.

I've put together a list of changes and created a Trello board for them.  I'll post them here as well though smile.png

• Double the Game's Dimensions
  • Recolor your Warplane Blue
  • Change Attack Key to Z
  • Add "Press Z" Message to Game Over Screen
  • Plane-to-Plane Collision
  • Press Escape to Return to the Menu
  • Add a Version Number to the Menu
  • Add Music Credits
Edited by InvisibleMan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!