Communicating "scariness" without openly showing the enemy

Started by
22 comments, last by IveGotDryEye 9 years, 9 months ago

1. Foreshadowing If the scenario where the stalking begins is not from the beginning of the game, use the PC's hero or character with god like insight or a team of more trained and more equipped characters telling the PC there's no hope.

2. Telepathic link or visions - overlay the monsters actions to the PC's screen in realtime on occasion - you never see the monster but you see it on a rampage or becoming aware of the PC's presence and evolve the stalking over time.

3. If your graphics team can do it dynamic and animated tonemapping/contrast/exposure/brightness for the monster. In this way the monster can be in the PC's FOV and the PC sort of know it or think they know its there. Exactly how to incorporate into game depends on map lighting conditions - is the visual of the monster something akin to the predator in the movie or does this partial visibility only happen in the dark i.e. shadows, nighttime, or large dark areas.

4. Loss of control - if the PC's personality is from a certain set you could justify a loss of control (can't run as fast...) or change in control system such that the only real option for the player would be to run because an inability to defend one's self easily.

5. If the monster eats it's victims loud "eating" type sounds might be nice.

Thats all that I could think of off the top of my head.

edit - 4. Loss of control - if the PC's personality is from a certain set you could justify a loss of control (can't run as fast...) or change in control system such that the only real option for the player would be to run/hide because an inability to defend one's self easily.

3. If your graphics team can do it dynamic and animated tonemapping/contrast/exposure/brightness for the monster. In this way the monster can be in the Players FOV and the Player sort of knows it or think they know its there. Exactly how to incorporate into game depends on map lighting conditions - is the visual of the monster something akin to the predator in the movie or does this partial visibility only happen in the dark i.e. shadows, nighttime, or large dark areas.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Advertisement

At heart all those things you've mentioned are tools

Exactly what I'm looking for at the moment! I'm trying to discover all of the tools available to me so I can properly craft an experience.

- Jason Astle-Adams

3. If your graphics team can do it dynamic and animated tonemapping/contrast/exposure/brightness for the monster. In this way the monster can be in the PC's FOV and the PC sort of know it or think they know its there. Exactly how to incorporate into game depends on map lighting conditions - is the visual of the monster something akin to the predator in the movie or does this partial visibility only happen in the dark i.e. shadows, nighttime, or large dark areas.

Oh and if this is to direct you can also add visual indirection by adding silhouette changing geometry (ala goku in super saiyan mode in DBZ).

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Alfred Hitchcock was a pro at creating suspense without showing anything. He used camera angles and sound, as well as appropriate lighting to do it.

I'm sure there might be some Hitchcock tips on the internet somewhere.

Edit: found a link

http://www.borgus.com/hitch/index.htm

Watch this video series:

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Does not look like anyone has mentioned this yet. For me, the key to being scared is being invested in the character. Proper character development and back story plays a key roll in whether I care enough about a character to be scared if anything should or could happen to them.

Also, does your game have other NPC's in it? If so, and you can communicate with them, they can easily create tension for the main character with their actions and behaviours. If everyone else is on edge, you will be to.

Hope that helps!

Okay, a few more options:

• Limited PC mobility, e.g. I considered doing a short horror film from the POV of a guy on a stretcher who has been badly injured previously and can only watch and interact with the others.
  • VFX when creature is near, e.g. violent camera shaking, bloom, distortion, static (if on a camera), focal distance, extreme SSAO or other darkness effects.
  • Creature only appears in areas with nearby occluders so it can disappear as required.
  • Looking at it enrages it or harms the player.
  • False positives, e.g. noises, sudden movement, non-harmful objects with scary silhouettes.
  • Lack of control, e.g. lights that flicker/go out, weapons with random failure modes.
  • True bravery required, e.g. you must compromise your safety to achieve things.
  • True bravery required, e.g. you must compromise your safety to achieve things.
That one is interesting, and you can expand it to something even more terrifying: having safe zones in the game, areas where it's guaranteed that the monster/evil is not able to enter.
Then just before leaving a safe zone to continue on to the dangerous parts a certain fear out of anticipation will strike, especially if the safe zone is a very small, open place - like you can watch the dangerous area from a few feet away and know that you're safe.

That one is interesting, and you can expand it to something even more terrifying: having safe zones in the game, areas where it's guaranteed that the monster/evil is not able to enter.
Then just before leaving a safe zone to continue on to the dangerous parts a certain fear out of anticipation will strike, especially if the safe zone is a very small place without doors - like you can watch the dangerous area from a few feet away and know that you're safe.

A simple example of what I was thinking of is a safe room that has a door with a squeaky hinge and a squeaky bolt. Opening and closing the door can attract attention. You can open/close it slowly and carefully, but you're out in the open longer. Or you can do it quickly and potentially attract a lot of attention. If you go the quick route and attract too much attention, they could bust down the door before you can finish locking it, and you're trapped in a tiny room. If you go too slowly, you could be crept up on by something while your camera can only see the door.

I do like the idea of a guaranteed safe zone, but mainly so you can occasionally subvert it. Nothing like being attacked in your guaranteed safe place to give a scare. ;)

Well I think making it the experience novel would give the sense of unpredictability and unknown. So for example, I'm not sure any games have made it where the monster is dangerously close to the character for long stretches of time, just teasing the character. For example, if it was 3rd person, you could make it so you could see part of the back of the monsters head as it stalked directly behind the character while the character ties to run away at full speed. If first person, you could make it so the monsters tentacle(if it has) or whatever, caresses the weapon you are holding from behind the character but if you turn to face it you'll die. If you want other ideas for scary monsters maybe watch the Bezerk anime movies, especially the third one. Pretty original which might inspire more originality. Also it might help to research different phobias people have and try and use them, like very narrow hallways, hieghts, clusters, audio hallucinations ect.

one of the scariest things I can imagine is being lulled into a false sense of security. the second you drop your guard you're dead, yet you cant help but think you're safe.

Accentuating on seongjun's comment of showing previously afflicted victims, perhaps you could use that as an opening. Employing what I'm saying as well, you start off in a neutral-friendly environment. This continues on for a short span until you happen upon the other victims etc. in some form or another. then you just have to stimulate the concept of a monster through visual and audio queues, their imagination will do the rest.

Which is another thing, never reveal the monster. A persons imagination will always be far more horrible then the reality. Playing on this strength, or weakness, of humans is a great way to instill fear without revealing identity.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement